Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Friends

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

About over a month ago a boy (K) introduced himself to our dd at church, he was nice and sweet-saw him couple of more weeks in a row then life got in the way and we missed 3 weeks. This weekend was the youth conference-well she saw him again and they with other teens hung out together. The boys's step brother was telling our dd that (K) liked her, which is fine with us and cute. They were talking and found out that k is 18 and our dd is 14. My question how many of you parents would this bother-them being friends and crushin g on each other, when they only see each other at church?

We personally have no issue on this.

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DropZoneMom
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It wouldn't bother me if they were friends.   But if he was interested in 'dating' her, I would be much more hesitant.   If he is already out of high school -- then there would be NO way.   Why would an 18-year-old MAN be interested in a 14-year-old CHILD?

cege
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's okay as long as they truly are only seeing one another at church.  My concern would be if they then wanted to spend time with one another outside of church.  I met and became friendly with a "wholesome" older boy in high school and my parents thought he was so nice that they eventually let me go on dates with him.  I had just turned 15 at the time and quickly got in over my head and was pressured to do things I wasn't ready for.   Because of my experience I started talking frankly to my daughter when she started high school about how tricky it can be to date someone older and that we'd only allow her to date someone in her own grade or the grade above.  You can't stop your daughter from being friends with people she sees at church or school but you make clear your expectations of how things will or won't proceed with this particular "friend".

OhGloria
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

only you know your daughter and her maturity.  I'd probably allow this but that's just me. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This!

Quoting DropZoneMom:

It wouldn't bother me if they were friends.   But if he was interested in 'dating' her, I would be much more hesitant.   If he is already out of high school -- then there would be NO way.   Why would an 18-year-old MAN be interested in a 14-year-old CHILD?

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Quoting DropZo

eMom:

He will be a junior this year in HS-had some issues in school due to a learning disability and the reason for only being a junior this fall.

rwblake2011
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM
This!

Quoting OhGloria:

only you know your daughter and her maturity.  I'd probably allow this but that's just me. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I would be concerned about the crushing part.

juliX4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Wouldn't bother me at all. Matter of fact my oldest "dated" a 18 yo when she was 14. It was VERY limited dating and they mostly hung out at our house. I trusted my dd and she had very strong values she set upon herself. All thru hs she dated older boys. The ones her age were just too immature.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

As long as it was supervised activities (with no chance of disappearing) probably not. 

sunflowers12
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I wouldn't care that's a good place to crush on some one its not like anything can happen.. also they can be friends maybe when she is older it can take a different corse but its all good...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)