Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

WWYD: Graduate Gives Back Mistakenly Awarded Scholarship.

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
22 seconds ago
Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

White Boy Gives Back Scholarship Intended to Help Black Students

Posted by Jeanne Sager

diplomaI don't think I need to tell you that sending a kid to college is expensive. If my kid decided to give back a $1,000 scholarship, I think I'd be having a heart attack. But Jeffrey Warren didn't have a lot of options. The California high school graduate is white, and the scholarship was supposed to go to a black kid.

He could have kept it ... legally. But Jeffrey Warren did something that too few kids do these days.

He showed people that it's better to win things "fair and square" than it is to simply "win." That's a pretty hard thing to teach a child. It's not like a mathematical equation where the right answer is directly in front of you. 

In this case, Warren didn't know the scholarship was directed toward kids of color. The Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club had mentioned the scholarship's race stipulation in a letter to his high school guidance counselor, but it wasn't in the wording of the actual scholarship. And the Senior Citizens Club didn't know Warren was white until he stood up during the graduation ceremonies to accept his award.

He says he gave the money back because:

I knew they were trying to do a good deed for the African-American community. I had no trouble giving it back to them at all.

He makes me feel hopeful for the future. And he makes me want to send a letter to his parents asking for tips on raising such a great kid. I am still struggling with how to teach my daughter the concept of being a "bigger person."

Jeffery Warren could have had a cool chunk of change to spend on college. That "seems" right. After all, he applied. He "won" the scholarship. And I'm sure it would have helped his parents financially. But the fact that this kid decided to right a wrong here should help his parents even more ... at least it helps them know that they've done a good job in raising a future member of society.

What would you have done if Jeffrey was your kid winning the scholarship intended for a kid of a different race?

More importantly, what would your TEEN have done in this situation?

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Although I have issues with scholarships that cater to only a specific race, I would have insisted my child give it back if it was intended for a child of a different race than his own, if he didn't offer it.  I believe that scholarships should be giving on merit and achievement, not on race, something no one can decide for themselves or change.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

First off I call BS that most teens would not have done what Jeffrey did. This young man do what 99% of us parents teach our children to do BE HONEST.  I don't understand why everyone is   OOOh & AAAHHH over this young man. Yes he did the right thing. I think Most kids would.  My sons would have given it back. They would not keep something they were not entitled to.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I think he did the right thing by giving it back but I also believe that the majority of teens in his position would have done the same.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I think this also, he did do a good thing, but I think most kids would.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

First off I call BS that most teens would not have done what Jeffrey did. This young man do what 99% of us parents teach our children to do BE HONEST.  I don't understand why everyone is   OOOh & AAAHHH over this young man. Yes he did the right thing. I think Most kids would.  My sons would have given it back. They would not keep something they were not entitled to.

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM
bump

02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

1st I think it is a shame they give scholarships to blacks and not have one for being white and every other race.  I think that scholarship is racist and I would have kept it if it were me but my kids would have given it back.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My children would have given it back. I believe most kids would give it back as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I think of a black student had been given a scholarship and then told oops sorry it's only for whlite kids that there would be a riot. It would be on national news, the white house would probly be involved. So no I would not have my kid give it back . He won fair and square.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I don't like scholarships for a race, or for gender either really.  My kid would probably give it back but like I said, I don't agree with the way things are.  Many scholarships are like this also.  LOTS of them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)