Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Cell Phone Restrictions - have any?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM
  • 101 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 14 yr old DD has an iPhone which I pay for and monitor. It need to be plugged into the kitchen outlet before she goes to bed, and not taken into her room with her. I don't really trust that anything good happens on texts overnight. I feel that more freedom you give these kids with the phones, the more they will take! So last night, I noticed she was on the phone a ton, and asked her to hang it up at 10pm. She flipped her lid and started crying saying I don't want her to have any friends and she is bored.  Oh Boy, we are in for a long summer then.  I tried to get this kid into camp or other town activities, but it hasn't worked out.  We are moving at the end of the month, and she's at a funny age, in between camp and employment.

Anyway, she felt she should have full possession of the phone for the next 2 weeks - I disagree. I told her she can tell her friends the same thing she was going to tell them overnight at 8am in the morning when she gets up.  

So what are your limits on cell phone usage?  Do you agree or disagree that the phone shouldn't be in her possession overnight. I can only see promises to sneak out coming from it - especially if we are moving to a new town in 2 weeks!

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Well mine are older now, so obviously I don't put any restrictions. 

At that age I would say midnight cut off, in the summer, ten on school nights. I never took their phones from them. I expected honesty, that doesn't mean I didn't do periodic checks of the phone bill though. I I found out they were on it after their 'curfew' I took it away. First offense was 2 days, 3rd 3 days.....they got the hint real fast.

erica7227
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Did you end up having to take it away a lot?  I feel like that is what would happen. Also, did you find they were on their phones a lot?  My daughter and her friends are texting fiends.  I have let her know what I feel is appropriate in regards to limits, but I swear, her friends parents give their kids total freedom with the phone and don't impose any limits.  I've seen her friends walk into walls in my house because they couldn't put the darn thing down. My husband asked one of her friends to help him with something, and she only helped with one hand because she couldn't put down the phone!!  I just don't want my daughter to turn out that way. 

Quoting luckysevenwow:

At that age I would say midnight cut off, in the summer, ten on school nights. I never took their phones from them. I expected honesty, that doesn't mean I didn't do periodic checks of the phone bill though. I I found out they were on it after their 'curfew' I took it away. First offense was 2 days, 3rd 3 days.....they got the hint real fast.

kimsamomof3
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
None of my kids have iPhones. My 16 and 12 year old both have regular cell phones. I don't take the phones away because it's never been a problem. They don't have pic mail or Internet access. When my 16 year old was 14 he received some pics from a girl that were not appropriate. So I decided that their phones will not have those options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Once or twice in the beginning. Then maybe a few times here and there. They really do hate to loose for days on end, versus just turning it off at required times. Mine also only had texting, phones were somwhat basic back then lol, but yes, the were pretty glued to them. If it wa family time I told them to put it away. If it was interferring with what we were doing we took the away.

Quoting erica7227:

Did you end up having to take it away a lot?  I feel like that is what would happen. Also, did you find they were on their phones a lot?  My daughter and her friends are texting fiends.  I have let her know what I feel is appropriate in regards to limits, but I swear, her friends parents give their kids total freedom with the phone and don't impose any limits.  I've seen her friends walk into walls in my house because they couldn't put the darn thing down. My husband asked one of her friends to help him with something, and she only helped with one hand because she couldn't put down the phone!!  I just don't want my daughter to turn out that way. 

Quoting luckysevenwow:

andersongirl562
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM
My kids aren't allowed phone privileges after 9 pm and 8 am. I have kids ranging in age from 14 to 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Summer I never cared and weekends.  School nights the phones became mine at 9pm.  I don't agree kids should be texting all night either.  If that would be happening I would take the phone even during the summer at maybe 11pm or so. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

My sons didnt have cell phones until age 16. Their phones did not text. I blocked that feature. They phones had to be in the kitchen at 9pm on school nights. They also had to answer their ohone no matter when I called.weekends they could be on it all night. As long as they didnt exceed the plan and could get up and function the next day.

erica7227
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Did it bother you when they were on it all night? Idk, that's bothers me like it's a recipe for trouble.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

My sons didnt have cell phones until age 16. Their phones did not text. I blocked that feature. They phones had to be in the kitchen at 9pm on school nights. They also had to answer their ohone no matter when I called.weekends they could be on it all night. As long as they didnt exceed the plan and could get up and function the next day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Quoting erica7227:

Did it bother you when they were on it all night? Idk, that's bothers me like it's a recipe for trouble.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

NO they were usually off by11/ 12. They had work, sport practices so many morning they had to be up at 5 or 6 am.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

rwblake2011
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Dd15 keeps hers all the time as long as she does what needs done. But no texting at dinner table. Ds's 12 & 9 turn theres in at bed time, they arent all over there phones like there sister is though. And I do random checks on cells. Ods was looking at imappropriate pics on his till I blocked that feature lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)