Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do I teach my child safe driving habits?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM
  • 21 Replies
How do I teach my child safe driving habits?
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

By showing him safe driving habits.  He will learn more from your driving skills than anything you try to teach him.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

By showing him safe driving habits.  He will learn more from your driving skills than anything you try to teach him.

Exactly what I was going to type !

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

This.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Exactly what I was going to type !

LancesMom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

True but I am not always going to be in the car....

I want him to realize when he's alone he has a responsibility to himself and other drivers. How do I get him to be that person even if I am not in the car?

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

When we were teaching our dd to drive we pointed out other drivers bad habits. When someone would roll through a stop sign, tail gate, cut someone off, pull out in front of us just to turn into the next drive way, etc. we'd say ~see what that person just did? Don't do that!

We also had her drive with her permit for longer than the required 6 mos and 50 hours. We let her take her drivers test after driving for a year on her permit. She is a cautious kid due to anxiety so it was easy to "scare her straight" so to speak behind the wheel. I think she is a good driver, she doesn't speed, blast music, talk or text while driving, she's a very attentive driver.

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting fantasticfour:

I want him to realize when he's alone he has a responsibility to himself and other drivers. How do I get him to be that person even if I am not in the car

LancesMom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Oh good ideas! Thank you!

Quoting mumsy2three:

When we were teaching our dd to drive we pointed out other drivers bad habits. When someone would roll through a stop sign, tail gate, cut someone off, pull out in front of us just to turn into the next drive way, etc. we'd say ~see what that person just did? Don't do that!

We also had her drive with her permit for longer than the required 6 mos and 50 hours. We let her take her drivers test after driving for a year on her permit. She is a cautious kid due to anxiety so it was easy to "scare her straight" so to speak behind the wheel. I think she is a good driver, she doesn't speed, blast music, talk or text while driving, she's a very attentive driver.

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting fantasticfour:

I want him to realize when he's alone he has a responsibility to himself and other drivers. How do I get him to be that person even if I am not in the car

LancesMom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

BUMP!

MistyandZoesMom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

My dd is a very safe driver and overly critical of her own ability.  When she is not driving, we talk about what she observes in other drivers.  When she drives, we debrief after.  I think the best thing of all is to be a good model and to keep the conversation going.

LancesMom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

debriefing! Thats a good idea!

Quoting MistyandZoesMom:

My dd is a very safe driver and overly critical of her own ability.  When she is not driving, we talk about what she observes in other drivers.  When she drives, we debrief after.  I think the best thing of all is to be a good model and to keep the conversation going.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

He's been in the car with you for 15 years?  He's learned what you do.  YOU drive well and he will learn it from you.

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting fantasticfour:

I want him to realize when he's alone he has a responsibility to himself and other drivers. How do I get him to be that person even if I am not in the car?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)