Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

We are their parents NOT their friends

Posted by   + Show Post
I keep wondering when parents are going to wake up. Why do kids get to decide what they get to do and what their punishment will be? I know I didn't. My parents let us know the rules right off and what would happen if we broke them. Also they told us don't be using that, "my friends parents......." because they didn't want to hear it. Have read many a post where I wonder WHAT THE HELL are the parents doing? This is just my thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Replies (21-25):
Tiffersmu
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I tell my 13 year old ill be her friend when she's 25!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shea1967
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM
In no way do we beat our kids or anything of the such but we do take computer and cell phone time away. Plus we make our kids clean in the house. We ALL live here and we all clean it. My kids have friends whos parents think we are mean. Wow! Just using the currency that works for us. We too remind our kids we are the only mom/dad they will ever have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitybird
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have often wondered that myself.  If we took more of a parenting roll with our kids maybe it would be better.  Too many parents are busy trying to be their own child's friends along with being friends with their friends.  It is like we are living in a world where parents do NOT want to grow up so they have to keep themselves young somehow.  I find it doesn't work.  It just so happens we are the stricter parents at the moment and all her friends are able to do whatever whenever without consequences.  We hold our daughter to higher standards!  We are parents first friends later.

PhoebemomofBRDM
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Eh, you can be both, if you do it correctly. Obviously, there are times when one absolutely has to be a parent. However, you can be supportive like a friend, play with them like a friend, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnnikkij
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Bump

I completely agree! I'm my kids mom. I'll be their friend when they move out & r grown
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)