Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teenage Daughter

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello everyone!

I have a 17 year old daughter that needs to have me trust her again. How do I go about doing this?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vero2410
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Give her simple responsibilities n don't remind her what she needs to do or when n if she can do that then give her a little freedom n tell her where she can go n what time to be back and if she screw that up start at square one. That's what my mom did with us n what I plan on doing with my girls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I told my dd's that the amount of freedom they had is a direct link to how much trust I have in them.  Building trust is a thousand little things.  Being exactly where you are supposed to be, exactly when you are supposed to be there.  Being home when you are supposed to be home.  Being proactive about calling/texting me if plans change or new plans develop.  Not having excuses, but solving problems so that they are doing what they say they are going to do when they say they are going to do them.  This starts with little things, chores, errands, etc... and includes the big things. (The text, I am coming home because we are not spending the night at friend A's after all, and I don't want to be involved in whatever they are going to do that she knows is not o.k. with you.)  It takes time, and transparency.  Access to her fb, texts, computer, etc...  One mistake puts her back at square 1.  You will be able to tell alot by her willingness to communicate and her attitude.

Above all, trust your mother's intuition, and check up.

gma12.1
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM

This is good.  Trust lost is hard to get back. She needs to know that she has to earn that trust.

Quoting Vero2410:

Give her simple responsibilities n don't remind her what she needs to do or when n if she can do that then give her a little freedom n tell her where she can go n what time to be back and if she screw that up start at square one. That's what my mom did with us n what I plan on doing with my girls

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I also agree with this. Start small, and hopefully it will build back up over time.

Quoting Vero2410:

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I agree with both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I agree.  She needs to do things that will help her to earn your trust.

Quoting Vero2410:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

It all depends on what she did to lose your trust.  What has she done to gain it back?

Momabear455
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Well trust has to be earned, if that trust is broken it is hard to trust again.  Let her do things you won't be too worried about and if she does well then give her a little more leway.  But I wouldn't for a long time if she just broke a trust!!  Don't you trust me? is often a guilt trip to get what they want!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Tell her that trust is earned, never a given.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Also, trust is a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)