Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If you only listen to ONE thing I say, listen to THIS:

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
GaleJ
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

...sorry, literally, in German it means man, as a Yiddish expression it means to be a man of integrity and someone that is a worthy of emulation. Now I'm going to brag just a bit, after I posted this my son who is twenty-one and an EMT passed the entrance test to Medic school to study to receive a higher certification. He is truly becoming a mensch and I am proud to be his mother.

Quoting DarlaHood:

Please do tell... What's a mensch?  cuz I don't know, but I want to!

Quoting GaleJ:

Trust your heart and be a mensch!

Maevelyn
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Expect nothing and be grateful for everything. Sincere gratitude is more attractive then a beautiful face, a quick mind, or a clever whit. 

Maevelyn
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, the best advice I was given as a teen. It doesn't matter how sweet that boy/girl you like is to you. However he/she treats his/her mother/father is how you will ultimately be treated. IE if you're dating a guy who curses out his mom, you'll be dressed down regularly. If his mom does EVERYTHING for him, you'd better like housework. 

DarlaHood
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I told my dd's this, too!  And boy is it true!!

Quoting Maevelyn:

Also, the best advice I was given as a teen. It doesn't matter how sweet that boy/girl you like is to you. However he/she treats his/her mother/father is how you will ultimately be treated. IE if you're dating a guy who curses out his mom, you'll be dressed down regularly. If his mom does EVERYTHING for him, you'd better like housework. 

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Never depend on someone else.

Never do anything you would be ashamed to tell your grandmother about.

Always strive to do the absolute best you can do - no matter what it is.

girlsclubmom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GaleJ:

...sorry, literally, in German it means man, as a Yiddish expression it means to be a man of integrity and someone that is a worthy of emulation. Now I'm going to brag just a bit, after I posted this my son who is twenty-one and an EMT passed the entrance test to Medic school to study to receive a higher certification. He is truly becoming a mensch and I am proud to be his mother.

Quoting DarlaHood:

Quoting GaleJ:

I love that word.. in our house it also means just a good, giving person. Someone who would help others. I always tell my kids to be menschs. There are not enough of them in the world. Congrats on your son's success!!!

girlsclubmom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I love all of these!!!!! There are some wise ladies are in this group!!!!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM

At the end of the day, you must sleep with yourself.  Rest peacefully.

missybest
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Be good to yourself in terms of caring about your feelings and needs.  Empathy for others is learned by first having empathy for yourself.  To live life without caring for others is a vacuum.  To suppress and deny your feelings is to suppress and deny your existence.

GaleJ
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Thank you I am very happy for him. I agree with your expanded definition for mensch, I actually did a search and used the standard one that came up because I didn't want to pass along a definition that was too culturally slanted or my own personal one to someone else but it really is a rather culturally packed word and it is hard to convey the Yiddish meaning without the cultural connection.

Quoting girlsclubmom:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting DarlaHood:

Quoting GaleJ:

I love that word.. in our house it also means just a good, giving person. Someone who would help others. I always tell my kids to be menschs. There are not enough of them in the world. Congrats on your son's success!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN