Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

14 year old step daughter don't know what to do

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi everyone I have a 14 yr old step daughter who is very rude and defiante that just got grounded for a month for posting degrading info about herself on Facebook and thinks its a joke help

CHELLE7171

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I can't give an opinion, not enough info. I sure wouldn't ground her for a month because she made degrading remarks about herself. I would find out WHY she feels that way. She made a cry for help and she was grounded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

When dealing with step children, I defer to the parent.  Your husband needs to handle this.  Coming from you can just escilate the problem unless you've been the only mom she's had in quite a while.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Sit down, go over your boundaries and expectations for her behavior. Lay out privileges and consequences...then most importantly back them up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelle7171
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM
She was only grounded for 2 weeks then she decided to call me and her dad f****** retards.

CHELLE7171

chelle7171
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM
We just got custody of her in January
chelle7171
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM
I have tried that and when we tell her that she isn't aloud to do anything she says she wants to hurt herself I just don't know what to do my boys where somuch easier

CHELLE7171

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM
3 moms liked this

If you've only had custody for 6 months, perhaps family counseling is in order.    She is testing you.  You are all adjusting to a new family dynamic and lines must be drawn.     

DarlaHood
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Grounding is really not the solution.  Kids at this age do such things because they are crying out for care and attention.  You said you just got custody.  I really urge you to go to family counseling and make it clear to her that you are all willing to work on yourselves to better your family.  She is not the problem, and you don't view her as the problem.  At 14, she should be sheltered, naive, and innocent.  If she is not, it is because something has gone wrong in her upbringing.  The adults in the situation are the ones who need to accept responsibility for that.  Answer her cry for help and things will get better.  Meet her with anger, and things will get worse. 

chelle7171
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

we will try that and see what happens, hopefully it helps thanks for al of ur suggestions..group hug

FindersKeepers
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

What did she write about herself?    2 weeks is a long time to be grounded for insulting yourself + 2 for calling you guys a disrespectful name.   To me the punishment should fit the crime and a month grounded seems a little extreme for this and if she is not going to learn anything from being in trouble that long. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)