Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Addicted

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

to garage sales (sorry - post title was a complete tease). Anyone else similarly afflicted? Scored a pair of abercrombie jean shorts for my 16 y/o yesterday for 50cents, last friday got her a bead bracelet for 25 cents similar to one she was admiring at Target that would have set her back $5 if she had had any cash. The other day at the office I looked at what I was wearing and realized half was from garage sales (capri's, earrings, bracelet). It's my Friday summer morning thing for 2 hours.  Completely addicted. Get huge mom points when I deposit any scores I've made for them in front of their bedroom door when I return (since their allowance money includes clothes money, they are always glad for freebies).

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

You just gave me a great idea of what to do today!!!! 

Thank you so much.....

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is moving out and I told her to start garage sale hunting. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

No I never go even though I know there can be huge bargains.  It just brings back bad memories of my childhood of being driven around for hours and hours on a Friday or Saturday and then having to sit in a vehicle with no air and all of us kids getting bored and frustrated.  Everytime I see one, it gives me those bad resentful feelings again.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I love it, but sadly I don't always find the time for it.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I love yard/garage sale shopping, thrift store shopping and ebay. Although ebay isn't as good as it used to be. When I was pregnant with my 3rd I got a huge box of baby clothes from ebay that I paid $13 for and most of it was shipping cost.

Most recently I bought shorts and shirts for my sons for 50 cents/piece.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Had a pretty productive garage sale 90 minutes this morning. Went to 4 sites that were losers. Then went to another 2, each with teenagers at the check-out table, always a good sign, and got 12 items of cool teen clothing for $13, and 6 teen books for $1.50, (and a cool ring for me). Came home & upon teenager inspection, all were declared good scores.

When the kids are with me in the car, I always ask if they want to veer off to follow a garage sale sign, about half the time they say yes, knowing that I'm buyin'. (Except when they were pre-school/early grade school years in which I had to establish a rule that we're only buying stuffed animals at a garage sale if you are willing to get home and put one of your current ones in the good will pile in the garage. It was getting out of hand). That would totally bite being a hostage in a mom's garage saling morning.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I like to go to thrift stores and have gotten lots of bargains.  I used to go to lots of garage sales.  Not so much anymore, seem to know too many people.  I still feel kinda funny about going and always tell my dd 'well, you don't have to tell anyone we got this... at a thrift store, garage sale, etc' I probably shouldn't feel like that but I do sometimes.  Altho, I do feel proud to have found the 'treasure', just wish I could get past the other. lol

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Me too, love to hunt for bargains! :)

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I love it, but sadly I don't always find the time for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I have those exact same memories...god it was torture!

My kids like to go though...even more then me. Makes it very nice!

Quoting fammatthews4:

No I never go even though I know there can be huge bargains.  It just brings back bad memories of my childhood of being driven around for hours and hours on a Friday or Saturday and then having to sit in a vehicle with no air and all of us kids getting bored and frustrated.  Everytime I see one, it gives me those bad resentful feelings again.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
I got a Keurig for $20 today!!!! It's a single cup one but it's mine!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN