Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My dd 21 is moving out

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 36 Replies

She is moving out with her boyfriend this week.  He is moving his things today and tomorrow and she is moving most of her things next Saturday.  We will see how they get along, how they budget and if they can afford all this.  Its a big test.  DD is going back to school in September and supposed to working a lot less.  We will see how that works out. 

Kids today know it all.  It would be so much better if they waited at least a year if not 2 when she gets out of school.  What do parents know??  ROFL.  Heck, I stayed at home till I got married at 23.  I knew I had it good and I was working full time even at living at home rent free like she could be.  You can only be young once and why live on your own if you don't really have to? 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I was kicked out at 17, moved in with then BF (hubby). Lived on our own at 19, but I hear you. We've been stressing to our older ones that before they start moving they know....I mean really know, that they can do it. Once they leave they can't come back, mainly cause their rooms will be handed over to the little ones.

So far they are getting that. Good luck to your DD though, that's a huge step!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I was kicked out at 17, moved in with then BF (hubby). Lived on our own at 19, but I hear you. We've been stressing to our older ones that before they start moving they know....I mean really know, that they can do it. Once they leave they can't come back, mainly cause their rooms will be handed over to the little ones.

She knows she can come back but last night a light bulb went off.  I am turning her room into my scrapbooking room.  I can do it more often and have it out ALL The time on a table up there.  Oh, I am excited about that one.  DD 18 leaves for college so empty nesters here we come in a few short weeks.  Oh, they got a 2 bedroom also?  What the hell, they don't need a 2 bedroom at all. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I thought I knew it all when I was younger, looking back would have saved so much more money if I had stayed at home a few more years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I thought I knew it all when I was younger, looking back would have saved so much more money if I had stayed at home a few more years.

I stayed at home and still didn't save that much money, lol.  I went on 3 vacations in 3 years, 2 cruises and one trip to FL.  It was worth it.  Never been on a cruise since so glad I went before getting married. 

PinkieRed
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I moved out of my parents' house when I was 21, so 18 years ago. My youngest sister moved with me. She was 19. We both had full time jobs, and I was also going to college part time.

My sister, my husband (we weren't married yet) and I shared an apartment then. My sister lived there for 3 years, until I had my daughter, then got her own place. I never moved back home, nor did my sister, even though we've both went through hard times with job losses, illness, etc. My husband actually lost his job a week after we moved in together, but we managed somehow. My husband and I lived together for 7 years before getting married.

My mom is a very difficult person to live with, and we weren't close, so I was glad to move out. I had no intention of moving back home after I left. My oldest sister moved out at 18, oldest brother at 18 too, and his twin, my second oldest sister, at 16 (went to live with a friend's family). None of them ever moved back home, either.

I have a friend who is 40, who still lives at home with her parents, as do her two older sisters. All three have college degrees, and she has a good paying job with the post office. I don't know if her sisters work or what sort of work they do. My friend travels a lot as well. She's been on a lot of cruises. She says her parents don't want her and her sisters to move out until they get married, and she's perfectly content living at home.

To each their own, but I can't see still living at home in my 40's, unmarried or not. I would not be happy. I don't want my kids living at home forever either. I want them to spread their wings and become independent adults one day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I was a teen in a hurry to grow up. I moved out right before I turned 18. Man do I wish I would have just stayed at home, lol.

Good luck to your dd~

02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

My sons agree with you they said they know they have it made and are in no hurry to move out.  They see all their friends struggling to pay the bills and eat with nothing left over for fun.  I hope things work out for her and if they don't she is smart enough to move back home.

Sandy0904
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I only moved out when I got married.  Kids think they know everything.  It is good for them to learn.  Who knows, it may work out for her.  You certainly can't tell her any different.  Just be there with advice.  You only know if you try!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Mine could come home...if it was something that is/was beyond their control. I just say that to them to make then really think before they take that leap.

It will 16 years before I even have a shot at being an empty nester, although I am sure once at least half of them are gone the nest is gonna feel empty lol

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

She knows she can come back but last night a light bulb went off.  I am turning her room into my scrapbooking room.  I can do it more often and have it out ALL The time on a table up there.  Oh, I am excited about that one.  DD 18 leaves for college so empty nesters here we come in a few short weeks.  Oh, they got a 2 bedroom also?  What the hell, they don't need a 2 bedroom at all. 

epykpysmom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Don't be surprised if after the novelty of her own place, and the bills that come with it, wear off that they are back for Sunday dinner!  Sounds like they have a big place! 2 bedrooms?  How much rent is that where you are?  Here it would be about $2500 so very FEW young people who are still going to school can afford that!  Good luck to your daughter and enjoy your personal scrapbooking space!!  happy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN