Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Am I being an overbearing parent?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 42 Replies

Is it ok to go with your child to meet with the advisor at his college to discuss what program would be best for them and what courses they should take.  My son wants to transfer to another college in December, so I just want to make sure that he's in the right program.  I know advisors have to meet with many studens, so they kind of just hurry them along.

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Nothing wrong at all going with them. They need to choose on their own but parents need to be there to understand and hear things they do not hear. My dd's college has 1 1/2 days of orientation and it is for parents and the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

How old is your son? Is this his first year of college... well.. it probably isn't because you're saying he's transferring.... what year of college is he in? Are you paying the bill? Has he asked you to go with him? Does HE know what he wants? Has HE researched the school and the program? Too many questions to answer this question thoughtfully.

prettybaby1
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

He's 19 has completed 2 year at a community college, he decided to change his major, so he's going to do 1 more semester at the community college and hopefully transfer into the state univercity.  I just feel like there are so many questions to ask to make sure he gets into this program (it's a tough program).

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM

No, but my son always asks me to go because he will not remember everything that is told to him.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM

If your son wants you to go along, no.

If you are insisting to go along even though he doesn't want it, possibly yes.

prettybaby1
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

He doesn't mind if I go.  He is the type of kid who would tell me if he didn't want me to go.  I asked him if he wanted me to go and he said "if I want."

lnrmom
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

"If you want" is typically "yes, I really do want you to go, but its no big deal if you don't."

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I feel he needs to make this choice on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

My Ds began meeting with his HS counselor alone in 10th grade. I went with him to plan his HS sched in 9th grade and after seeing they had a good realtionship and because my DS is VERY academically responsible i let him do it. In fact he researched all of the colleges (we went with to visiT) as well as all of the grants and scholarships. I'm glad I left it to him, he not only got into his first choice school, he was ready to spread his wings and fly when he left home to live in the dorms last Sept.

prettybaby1
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM

bizzemom, that's great that your son is like that, but many are not.  I would love to not have to direct and coaz him all the time.  I really want my son to be successful in life, so I'm just trying to make sure he does what he needs to do to reach his goals in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN