Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think this is bullying?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

I took my beautiful, size 4-6, 5'4" daughter shopping today for fall school clothes.  She wanted to go into American Eagle, which is to be expected for a teenager.  How the heck does a store like this do business?  The small shirts looked like they would fit an really tall toddler, the extra larges were about the size of a woman's small/medium (if she has a small bust).  I'm not talking about styling here (low cut, tight), but about body imaging.  This store markets themselves to teens, but size themselves for girls that would have to be extremely underweight to fit the clothes (or squeeze themselves into sizes that don't fit just so they can wear the "right" clothes).  My daughter was visibly upset.  Although we found some things, I left them on the counter, refusing to spend our money in a store that is doing all it can to undermine girls self esteem during such formative years (btw: daughter was fine with that, she just wanted to get out of there). 

Even more disturbing is that after a little internet research tonight, American Eagle is considered the "larger" of the "in" stores;  Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister and Aeropostale being reserved for the rich and ultra thin among us.  Since when is a someone who wears size 6 extra large?  Ok, ok, let's say that I were to buy into the argument that once upon a time, several years ago, a size 8 was actually a size 6, and a size 6, a size 4 and so on, but come on!  Even with that logic a size 8 isn't extra large!  It never was!  It almost feels like this falls under the anti-bullying  "Save our Daughters" campaign.  People talk in large gestures about bullying, but this is bullying at its core.  This is the fashion industry telling our daughters that they aren't thin enough.  And they do it in the most bitter place, the dressing room mirror.

I think what really gets to me is that not only are these companies making my daughter feel bad about her body, but that I'm paying them while they do it.

Have any of you all had this experience?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep! My 14 year old daughter is 5"2, 109 pounds, and a size 5, but she thinks she's fat. It breaks my heart. She wears a medium or large in all of the brands you mentioned.

It's sad that unless a teen girl is 5"6 or taller weighs 80 or 90 pounds, and is a size 0, that society will consider her fat and imperfect.

It's ironic too, given that girls and women are getting ever heavier, and the average American woman is now a size 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I feel they run normal to me. Most are large for my 18 yo. She is 92 lbs and 4ft 10. My 21 yo wears medium tops and size 3 or 5 jeans everywhere and she is 112 lbs and 5 ft 2, very average for her height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM
No, its not bullying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Discrimination perhaps? 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like that designers are going that, but I wouldn't consider it bullying either. I don't think that's the correct term that you're looking for. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM
It isnt the clothes that are bullying, its the girls. Blame them. No matter what sizes the tiny girls will wear smaller than your dd. If your dd wore a small what size would the small girls wear???. XXX small???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Its all about self esteem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is petite too and has the same issue although even though their extra small tops don't always fit my DD (arms too long a lot) I don't consider it bullying?

Quoting atlmom2:

I feel they run normal to me. Most are large for my 18 yo. She is 92 lbs and 4ft 10. My 21 yo wears medium tops and size 3 or 5 jeans everywhere and she is 112 lbs and 5 ft 2, very average for her height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
No I don't think it's that either, sizes are just different these days.

Quoting opal10161973:

Discrimination perhaps? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM
My dd gets ticked. She doesn't want to wear girls clothes and sometimes 00 jeans are too large. She deals though.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My DD is petite too and has the same issue although even though their extra small tops don't always fit my DD (arms too long a lot) I don't consider it bullying?

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN