Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

15 year old with boyfriend?

Posted by   + Show Post

my daughter is 14 (15 in August)  and the rule is no boyfriends until 16, but she has one. 

I let her go to the movies with him, (his dad was there and i came also) , i saw them kiss during the movie and that makes me uneasy. 

Is it wrong for me to tell her she can't see him anymore?

I feel she is to young, but knowing her she might continue to see him anyway. 

whats your honest opinion?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Replies (11-18):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

I think since you let her start dating all you really can do from here is just make sure they are supervised whenever they are together

I agree.

Wyndi
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

our house rules were 14-16 chaperoned or group dates to school functions inwhich I was a parent chaperone.  I still volunteer as a parent chaperone for school dances.

after 16 they could date one on one but here they can not drive anyone other than a parent for the first 9 months after they got their license so either we did the drop off / pick up or they had a parent chaperone.

DS will be 18 in less than a week. Once he's 18, then the rules will change again. DD is almost 20 and when she turned 18 her dating rules changed too. 

Since you have already broken your dating rule, there is no going back. have a candid talk with your DD about the dating do's and don'ts.  and if she's ever in a situation that she is uncomfortable in that she can call you and you'll come get her with no recrimations, I.E drugs, alcohol, sex.  Trust your daughter to make the right decisions and let her know that if ever she is feeling that its not something she wants to do, she can call you to come get her.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM
If you are really uncomfortable be honest with her and tell her you re thought some things and feel you made a mistake. Offer to go as a chaperone instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I think it is hard to say, "you're not allowed to have a bf" because it can't realistically be policed.  If kids hang out at school or in groups and call each other bf or gf, parents may not be told if they have that rule. However, I wouldn't encourage one on one dates, even chaperoned.  The harder it is for them to spend time just the two of them, the better it is.  Because she is too young to be getting involved in a serious relationship.  I would discourage one on one, and not facilitate on a regular basis.  I also would not encourage her being at his house, or him being at yours.  Try to keep it at school or in group situations.  Try to keep it innocent and not serious.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM

to young but she will find a way to see him just let them never be alone always with you or friend in groups

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM
If the kiss made you uncomfortable, it should have been addressed when it happened, not now. I would sit her down and discuss appropriate behavior around you.
dobrd
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

LindaLove861, Not being disrespectful but, being your the parent, it's your 'say so' what she can/can't do.. Yes, she is way to young considering kids are pregnant as young as 12 yrs. old.. Our DD pulled this till I put a stop to it.. When we told our kids no at something then, it wasn't debatable.. I'd stop it now.. I wouldn't be following my DD to functions just so I know she's not getting herself into trouble.. I wasn;'t going to work this hard, I didn't.. I gave benefit of the doubt, she abused it, that was the end of it till she was married.. In areas parents need to be tougher.. I was on top of things, whether being mean, grounded, or fefused the baffle/bullshit.. Wasn't doing all this.. Take Care, Donna....

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I agree to.  As long as they are always supervised it should be ok.  I agree taht 16 is good for one on one dates

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting fammatthews4:

I think since you let her start dating all you really can do from here is just make sure they are supervised whenever they are together

I agree with this, good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN