Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Why are teens so bold these days??? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd 21 moved out last week. Her 20 yo friend text me asking me a big question. I didn't answer yet. I know the question. She is wanting to move in my dd's room. Last week she had the nerve to ask me to co sign a car loan for her. Kids these days, 8 swear. We had another friend of dd's at our house for 3 months when she was kicked out. Dh and 8 said never again would we do this again ever. We want to enjoy our empty nest when dd 18 goes to school next month. I made dd's room a scrapbooking room already anyway. Only IF we had an inlaw suite would we consider renting a room. We don't have a walk out basement either.

I was wrong. She wants to borrow $400. Not happening! Sounds like she is still with her boyfriend and needs more downpayment on a car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
MrsBLB
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Wow

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM
I might do it once but they would know it was a one time thing and to not ask again. If you do not have money, do not drive.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

LOL, some of my friend dd's will ask for a little gas money. I am okay with that, they pay it back and are like my own kids.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Wow.   That is bold.   I just can't imagine my kids' friends asking for loans!  They are lucky I feed them when they are here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It was usually for gas to go to work. Like I said they are like my own kids so I am fine with it.

Quoting atlmom2:

I might do it once but they would know it was a one time thing and to not ask again. If you do not have money, do not drive.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

LOL, some of my friend dd's will ask for a little gas money. I am okay with that, they pay it back and are like my own kids.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Wow.   That is bold.   I just can't imagine my kids' friends asking for loans!  They are lucky I feed them when they are here.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I agree that it was very bold of her to ask for a loan.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DivaPrinciple:

I think kids have always been bold but we really don't notice it until we get grown and have some of our own...Yes, they have gotten a little worse with it but they've always been bold...

I think it's gotten worse too. It seems like this generation seems to have more teens/kids with entitlement issues. :(

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I know that is not your fault. I just find it odd that she is turning to you instead of her own parents to co-sign for a loan. It is definitely extremely bold to ask a friend's parents of those things. If she still has a relationship with her parents, she should be looking to them first and foremost.

Quoting atlmom2:

She has been in and out of her parents home since graduating hs. That is not my fault.

Quoting Barabell:

I don't understand why that friend is asking those things of you instead of turning to their own family first. Are they estranged from their parents and/or family?

exactly my thoughts also

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It was usually for gas to go to work. Like I said they are like my own kids so I am fine with it.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I kind of look at small loans as shame on them if they don't pay back but shame on me if I loan again with no payback.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, no I am almost certain my kids would never ask a friends parents for a loan, I would be horrified! My DS's gf is staying with us this summer, but she is a nanny for our 2 year old and helps transport my 14 y/o. She will be going back to college in the summer and they have been dating for 3 years. She has a terrible relationship with her mom, but has never once in all these years ask for anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DivaPrinciple
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:46 AM

I wasn't speaking of JUST THIS ONE incident...All in all, kids have always been bold...in EVERY area..Not just in this area that the post is speaking of. Our parents probably thought/think the same thing of us as we do of this generation..Each generation tends to do things "bigger/bolder" than the last generation. 

Quoting atlmom2:

No one I grew up with would have ever ask this, nor would I have.

Quoting DivaPrinciple:

I think kids have always been bold but we really don't notice it until we get grown and have some of our own...Yes, they have gotten a little worse with it but they've always been bold...

chloesmommy777
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:19 AM

All parents have faced this challenging question since the beginning of time. My hind-sight tells me what a pain I was, though i didn't realise it at the time. Let's take comfort in the fact that this is just as it was, and hopefully, our teens will realise the same stuff. I find myself apologising to my parents since my angel was born... in retrospect, I feel lucky that my parents didn't cater to my every whim, yet they were supportive...gl ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN