Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Confront Your Childs Bully?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 19 Replies

Dad Arrested for Paying Teen to Beat Up His Daughter's Bully (VIDEO)

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

Ah, parents, parents! How I weep for thee! Such a glorious job and yet one fraught with devilish temptations. Like hiring a bully to beat up the bully who is bullying your kid. Sounds kind of wonderful, doesn't it? Hey, if a kid beats up a kid, then you don't get in trouble. You're just like, A bully bullied the bully who was bullying my kid. Karma! But not if you get caught. Now you just look like a bully yourself. This reportedly went down when fed-up dad Philip Prokop was arrested for paying a 17-year-old girl $21 to beat up the 13-year-old girl who was bullying his own teen daughter. What's with the one extra dollar? You can just hear the bargaining session now. Twenty bucks? Cantcha kick in another buck?

Prokop denies he paid anyone to do anything. He says he merely went to a local hang-out with his 15-year-old daughter, Rose, to confront the girl who was verbally bullying his daughter so badly that she wanted to harm herself.

Right here we've got an adult doing something they shouldn't -- getting involved in inter-teen disputes. But can anyone blame him? Especially if other tactics, like reporting the behavior to school officials and the bully's parents, weren't working.

Prokop says that he introduced himself to the girl who was bullying his daughter and asked her to stop. This is where accounts diverge. Witnesses said that a teen whom Prokop paid to avenge his daughter attacked Rose's bullier. But Prokop says a melee broke out and he isn't sure who started it, but he denies paying anyone to start it.

Whatever happened, Prokop is the one who was arrested. He's out on bail. And the other teen's parents are furious with him. So, in the end, though his intentions were good, he's the one who ends up in hot water. And teaching your kid that bullying is the way to go -- as long as it's not your kid being bullied -- is not good parenting. But emotionally I can empathize with the dad, just like I can with the mom who got so enraged with bullying remarks a male teen was posting about her daughter on Facebook that she choked him.

This latest incident also involved Facebook. The bully had allegedly written about Rose: "I love how you're spreading rumours about me. I thought the only thing you could spread are your legs."

Maybe one solution is to keep all teens off Facebook, period.

VIDEO HERE

Would you confront your kid's bully?

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I would, maybe not confront them but have a talk with them. If that didn't work I would find their parents and try with them, not sure if that would work or not but I would try something.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Ugh, such a situational, vague question. I would probably have a talk with the bully or the parents if I thought it would help improve the situation.

I would NOT pay another teen to beat up my child's bully.

vale131
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I would absolutely talk to them and the parents if needed.  I would never ever pay someone or beat someone up over it though.

MandyP28
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

When my daughter was being bullied, I did talk to the girls who were doing it to her.  When they basically laughed in my face, I went to the school and asked the principal to help in the matter.  She spoke to me and another mother (the girls were also bullying this mother's son).  When we were done, she called the girls in and spoke to them in front of us.  She explained the situation and how dire the consequences could be for them.  It continuted until I finally told the girls that if I heard one more thing from them, the cops would be called.  I had printouts of stuff they were posting online, on facebook, etc.  

The bullying eventually stopped, but I'll tell you what....those girls were lucky that I wasn't 13 anymore!  I would have kicked some hind end!

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Not sure about confronting him, talking to him. yes.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM

No, when my dd was bullied by a girl on line, that she knew in real life,  I went to our school to ask what they would suggest since the girl was from another school district. They told me to call the state police. They informed me that the police would probably not do much/anything because it was via the internet but at least they would have info on file if by chance the girl started anything in person. I also printed out and kept all of the posts that the girl made to my dd. I think the girl sh*t her pants when she found out I called the cops b/c she deleted her account at the site and didn't contact my dd again via the Internet. Unfortunately it all stemmed from her being jealous b/c my dd was and still is dating the guy this girl liked to string along so they have mutual friends but the girl backed way off.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

no-I never have yet he has had issues with bullies.

Wyndi
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Been there done that. I went and had a talk with the girls guardian. the grandmother was livid and let her granddaughter have it.

The girl thought it was funny and starting laughing until I let her know a few facts. 1 the post office is federal property meaning a federal court. 2 she'd end up in jail and it would wreck her chances of getting into college because she'd be applying at age 17 and the record would still be public. and 3 her grandma told her if she did it again she'd be dragging her to the court system herself.  from that moment on the other girl left my daughter alone.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM

What I don't understand is that if someone is on facebook saying nasty things about you, why don't you unfriend them??

Rcastleberry
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Absolutely, and I would bring my friend, double barrel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)