Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Too much sex in teen novels?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 66 Replies

My daughter is an avid reader and has picked up a variety of teen novels from the library for the summer which I am also reading. I have been horrified by the graphic sexual references in some of these books. First, I do not want my daughter to think that sex while in high school is the norm, and that hiding it from parents is the norm. Also, one description I read about a girl's first time (and she was the "nice," intellectual girl in her group) was simply disgusting.

From what I have read, the authors and librarians feel they are simply reflecting what is happening in today's culture. However, if young girls are reading that everyone is having sex in high school, aren't they going to assume they should be, too?

For now, I told my daughter I would prefer that she not read the most offensive books and she was okay with that. But, I feel sad that there is so much focus on sex and at such a young age.

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM
3 moms liked this

The sad reality is that it does reflect today's society. I allow the books and instead talk about what bothers me about certian scenes. Why I find them to be offensive, then when they are done reading them we talked about it.

FindersKeepers
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This is news to me.... I didn't know there was sex in young adult books.    I mostly read non-fiction myself.... and if I read fiction I don't even like 'romance' novels.   Seriously, I though that only the books with the steamy Fabio covers has sex in them.  

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree with you! My DD in 7th grade borrowed a friend's book, and luckily she's a reluctant reader and i got to it first and discovered the content, told her I thought it was inappropriate, and why (same reasons you describe) and she was fine returning it. And now I skim books before I buy them for her.

In my day, the smut was in books like 'the flame and the flower' and 'the wolf and the dove'. Anyone remember those? Set in medieval England, and the protagonist seemed older than 15. Seems less harmful to have the prurient content set in a context far removed from her life!

To me, it's no different than saying they can't attend movies rated R for the inappropriate sex content. Too bad books don't come with a rating.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM
4 moms liked this
I was reading Stephen king starting in middle, then adult romance novels in high school. I never thought of or had sex till college. I dont think the books would cause your dd to go out and have sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM
What are some of the titles of the young adult books, does anyone know I'm curious;
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree, I don't censor books and even most movies. Instead we talk about them and why certain characters made choices they did, ect. Just because your teen reads about HS girls having sex does NOT mean she will go out and have sex herself. If she is a bright girl, I would def give her more credit than that! Books are make believe, lots of teens she goes to school with in the real world will be having sex. Censoring her books isn't going to make any difference, imo.

Quoting momto3infl:

I was reading Stephen king starting in middle, then adult romance novels in high school. I never thought of or had sex till college. I dont think the books would cause your dd to go out and have sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jujuhu299
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

The books I was most offended by were "ttyl" and "l8r,g8r" by Lauren Myracle.

The books do have some good messages about friendship and other topics, but I just feel that making high school sex seem like it's completely okay is not the message I want my daughter to hear. The books also talk about girls having sex with boys to get back at girls they don't like - another bad message.

And, as another mom posted, I did read romantic novels when I was a teen, but the romance took place between people older than 15.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM
Thanks for letting me know. I've never heard of those books...

Quoting jujuhu299:

The books I was most offended by were "ttyl" and "l8r,g8r" by Lauren Myracle.

The books do have some good messages about friendship and other topics, but I just feel that making high school sex seem like it's completely okay is not the message I want my daughter to hear. The books also talk about girls having sex with boys to get back at girls they don't like - another bad message.

And, as another mom posted, I did read romantic novels when I was a teen, but the romance took place between people older than 15.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for posting this.

girlsclubmom
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I agree about the messages they are sending to our kids. I do censor. I just feel like the more kids are exposed to all these "sex is ok for young girls" messages - the more it normalizes it. So far my kids are fine with this (oldest dd is 14) they read mostly hunger games type of stories at this point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN