Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sweet 16 birthday party ideas?

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd will turn 16 on August 8th. I don't have a lot of money to spend this year but, want to make it special. Any ideas?
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:03 AM
Replies (11-13):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Quoting lnrmom:

My daughter's 16th is in September. If I knew your budget I could probably help you out a little bit with some ideas. Like do you have less than $100, 2-300.... my idea of not a lot of money and your idea of not a lot of money can be vastly different.

Some money saving tips though include allowing her to have her close personal friends over for a sleep over (absolutely cheapest because there's no venu). Dollar stores have decorations that can be inexpensive - and repurposed items in your house can be utilized as well. Don't do pizza - that's too cliche, do a taco bar where you put out the typical taco ingredients and they build their own. Or a sandwich bar. Anything where they are making their own is cheaper. Then make her cake (will totally mean more to her). Ask everyone to bring their favorite nail polishes and let them be girls. You can find tons of sleepover ideas by googling teen sleepovers.

Another idea is to have a pool party. Drinks are fairly inexpensive, chips, veggies/fruits (totally cheap: a big watermelon, and wash and cut veggies yourself - so much cheaper than a plate, etc.) again, google pool party.

Think outside the box. Since its summer time, just invite her closest friends.  Oh, one of the ideas I saw was the coolest idea ever. Everyone wears a light colored shirt that they don't care about and shorts that can get messy. And brings water guns. Put food coloring in the water for the water guns - two teams - two colors. Then have a water gun fight at the park, followed by cake. :) Totally cheap.

You have made a great point and used great ideas.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Quoting CandyWolf:

My DD wants a winter wonderland party for her sweet sixteen (in MAY). And my other wants a zombie theme! (her sweet sixteen is on a Fri. the 13th!).

You could do a luau really cheap from Dollar Tree. 

My neighbor had one of those and she used the dollar store..the cost was good and the results were better.

squeekers
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM

our dd turns 16 next month. 1st she wanted to go paint balling, next she thought of just going bowling then she wanted to go to the gun range with her god-parents. her birthday is next month and I still am not sure what she wants for her party. we may just end up going family camping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)