Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Scammed..

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 30 Replies

That's what happened to my younger sister (21). She thought she found a great car for a great deal on craigslist, but through e-bay. Did it sound to good to be true: sure. I knew something my mom said sounded off, but I assumed that she did her research.

I was wrong, my sister is out $2,000 money she has been saving from her 2 jobs and the only thing she can do since it was international is file a complaint with the FBI.

I just feel so bad for her..

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I'm sorry. That's really awful! Unfortunately it seems your sister has learned a really costly lesson about the risks of being ripped off. It's a shame that it's so easy for these criminals to evade being caught when they commit these scams though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

That is truely awful.  It makes me sick how easy it is for people to scam other people

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully next time she will buy from some one that is local and check the car out before buying it, if so this is a good lesson if she attached he credit or debit card to ebay when she made the purchase have her cancel them so charges don't keep showing up later.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM

My mom told her to be thankful that it wasn't worse and she is, she's just so sad about it.

Quoting PinkieRed:

I'm sorry. That's really awful! Unfortunately it seems your sister has learned a really costly lesson about the risks of being ripped off. It's a shame that it's so easy for these criminals to evade being caught when they commit these scams though.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I agree, it's so easy for them. I will never understand how people can do that.

Quoting fammatthews4:

That is truely awful.  It makes me sick how easy it is for people to scam other people

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM

That's just it, the site looked like e-bay. Was set up like e-bay...but it wasn't, and the 'person' who owned the car wanted it done by certified check only. That was clue #1, he second clue (and one that did bug me) was that the bank was in London...red flags for sure but it seemed so legit to them.

Quoting 02nana07:

Hopefully next time she will buy from some one that is local and check the car out before buying it, if so this is a good lesson if she attached he credit or debit card to ebay when she made the purchase have her cancel them so charges don't keep showing up later.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Oh my that is awful.

Sometimes we just want to think we get lucky so we ignore signs.Bless your sister's heart.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Did she buy it off ebay?  They have things in place for that.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

That's it exactly.

Quoting drfink:

Oh my that is awful.

Sometimes we just want to think we get lucky so we ignore signs.Bless your sister's heart.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Nope, it looked like e-bay. Even offered the e-bay protection..which is why they did it. However, it wasn't e-bay at all it was very good scam.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Did she buy it off ebay?  They have things in place for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN