Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen pregnancy. Small update

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 22 Replies
Teen pregnancy is a sensitive topic, expsecialy to me, teen mom and teen wife. I am posting in her because I am wanting your advice on speaking out against teen pregnancy. I am planning on doing research on everything about teens and being pregnant, before durring and after effects. Since school is starting soon I would like to collect data from online resources and mothers with children and teens and other teen moms. With all this data I want to present it around schools starting with my old school. I plan on sending a letter asking permission to talk to teachers and students about teen pregnancy to help with my research then adding it to my presentation and also requesting permission to speak infront of everyone on this sensitive matter. I have a few questions. How do you feel about teen pregnancy? How do you feel about Me and other teen moms like me speaking to students? What would you like me to empathize the most? How do you feel about me posting polls to get answers and comments from you to present? Should I send some sort of notification to students and parents that I am comming? Or would it keep kids from showing up? What information do you want to research? ( I have tons of things in mind everything from before durring and after pregnancy including what to do with pregnancy, such as keep or not and other sensitive things, I also plan to cover relationships and sex) how do you feel about haveing the principal and other select teacher proof reading my plan befor presenting? Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

The reason why I want to do this is because I am 19 I have a husband going into the army a high need daughter and I'm wanting to start my own bussiness so I can be with her. Things have changed in the the short time since the pregnancy test came up positive. I want other teens to be educated and see real information as well as the known statistics and also hear from some one goin through it and be able to ask questions. I am in no means going to glorify teen pregnancy I will not dress up, I will wear jeans and a slobber covered shirt and bring in my daughter with me. Anything you have to say would be appreciated. Thankyou all!

I have started my research and it will take a while but soon I will start posting polls in mom confessions, and Maby in here as well.
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
So no one has a view on teen pregnancy? Sex? Relationships? I see it all the time, but yet no replies?
Wyndi
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm going to be blunt. Teens don't believe they'll get pregnant until it happens to them. Honestly, once they start, do you really think seeing your reality will stop them from continuing.

Teens have sex for a variety of reasons ~ they don't have a good role model at home teaching them to respect themselves and to demand respect for themselves, peer pressure,  to have someone love them unconditionally because their family can not do that for them. Not saying all teens having sex use these reasons.

some are raped and left pregnant.

I know many kids that are teen parents. I hurt for them but the one's that take responsibility for their children and do whats right and hard I have respect for.

I have raised my 2 teenagers to have respect for themselves and to not give into peer pressure just to have sex.

MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Quoting Wyndi:

I'm going to be blunt. Teens don't believe they'll get pregnant until it happens to them. Honestly, once they start, do you really think seeing your reality will stop them from continuing.

Teens have sex for a variety of reasons ~ they don't have a good role model at home teaching them to respect themselves and to demand respect for themselves, peer pressure,  to have someone love them unconditionally because their family can not do that for them. Not saying all teens having sex use these reasons.

some are raped and left pregnant.

I know many kids that are teen parents. I hurt for them but the one's that take responsibility for their children and do whats right and hard I have respect for.

I have raised my 2 teenagers to have respect for themselves and to not give into peer pressure just to have sex.

Thankyou for your honesty. I am a teen parent I knew it could happen to me, I knew what I was doing and so did he. What I didn't know is what it was like to be a teen mom. I thought me and my now husband would get jobs move out finish school and so on. I didn't relize a little slip up would get you fired and being 7 months along at 18 years old would get you laughed at even by employers. Do I think I will stop teen pregnancy? No I Absoultly know I won't, but I want to educate teens, even those poor girls who honestly couldn't help it. Now I have spoken to a few girls while I was in school som of them wanted babies for various reasons. Seeing me struggle emotionally and physicaly through my pregnancy (those few who have acesss to my Facebook) and through my child's life, have made some of them think twice, one left her abuse boyfriend and went to college, one girl is expecting a baby boy. So I know I won't be a miracle worker touching thousands of students. But I want to be the role model for those kids who don't have one, because I know what that is like. My daughter is loved and care for by me her father and all of our combined family because it takes a village to raise a baby. I thought I could do it all on mine on finish highschool online while razing a high need child until my doctor told me I couldn't do it by myself and I was being selfish if I didn't accept the help. So I did and my daughter is improving, not because I couldn't do it but because my special girls requires more then a tired emotionally physicaly and mentally mom she needs her dad and her grandparents as well. ( now I still hav her most of the time, I can't stand when she is away) but once or twice out of the week I spend my days without my darling daughter so I can job search and so forth.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I am against teen sex and teen pregnancy. I was out of hs before I had sex. So was dh and my 2 dd"s. It was not that hard. From what I see they do not believe it will happen to them. They do it to keep a boyfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Quoting atlmom2:

I am against teen sex and teen pregnancy. I was out of hs before I had sex. So was dh and my 2 dd"s. It was not that hard. From what I see they do not believe it will happen to them. They do it to keep a boyfriend.

Thankyou that brings up a lot for me to look into. I appreciate your time to message me and I am happy that you and your family didn't make a mistake a lot of girls including me have made.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You can teach and preach till you are blue in the face.

Some kids will listen and others think they have it all under control.

I taught abstinence, I also taught about BC. I covered everything there was to cover. One had sex at 16 1/2...to keep the guy. After a few months and he broke up with her she has been celibate. She is now 18 1/2 and has not given herself to any one else.

My other 2 were 17. My DD recently broke up with her BF but they were together for over 3 years. My son is with the same girl, even while separated by college they are still together and going on over 3 years.

While abstinance didn't work, my talks about respecting themselves and their potential partners did. 

MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Quoting luckysevenwow:

You can teach and preach till you are blue in the face.

Some kids will listen and others think they have it all under control.

I taught abstinence, I also taught about BC. I covered everything there was to cover. One had sex at 16 1/2...to keep the guy. After a few months and he broke up with her she has been celibate. She is now 18 1/2 and has not given herself to any one else.

My other 2 were 17. My DD recently broke up with her BF but they were together for over 3 years. My son is with the same girl, even while separated by college they are still together and going on over 3 years.

While abstinance didn't work, my talks about respecting themselves and their potential partners did. 

I am glad it worked for them I agree abstinence dos et always work
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I think open communication is key. Of course I never wanted my DS to come to me at age 17 and tell me he was ready to have sex with his gf of one year but am darn sure glad he did! I sat down with both of them and asked as honors students if and when you are ready just how will you prevent a pregnancy? They both had gone to planned parenthood together for bc. Was I happy they were having sex, NO but sooo glad they were able to come to me and were using protection! BTW, 3 years into relationship they are still together, love each other very much AND both doing well in college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OhGloria
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Teens have been having sex since the beginning of time. and they do it for a variety of reasons.  As my gyn has said, if they are on bc and using it properly and using spermicidal condoms, the chance of pregnancy is almost 0.  But some teens do not always have safe sex (ask my oldest), but keeping the communication lines open where they know they can come to you for advice without being judged is the best we can hope for with our kids. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

You're not going to be able to stop teens from having sex, however, you are able to give them "outs" from having sex.  Many feel pressured in the moment.  Wow we gone this far, he's expecting more (or she) and I really don't have a way out until I hurt his feelings and it becomes very embarrassing.  Try with before they have sex, ask the partner "What do you want to name the baby" that tends to be a mood killer.  I have been teaching my kids how to deal with peer pressure for a long time.  The need to fit in, the need to feel loved and the fear of losing someone is stronger to them than the consequences of the actions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)