Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone read or know about this book?  DD is assigned to read this book over the summer and compare it with another book she read.  We found out from another family that it has way too much sexual references.  I looked this book up on three different websites and they said it's for ages 14 and up.  However from the reviews I don't think it's appropriate.  What do you think?  Do you think that some of the book the kids are allowed to read is appropriate for their age?  DD is very mature but I don't want orgy and sex toys etc on her mind.  I'm just a little frustrated.

Here's one of the websites

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/brave-new-world

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

All of mine have read it.It was discussed at home and at school.For my children these type scenes don't have much of an impact on how they conduct their lives.My oldest is 27 ,successful and no children yet.My 21 daughter is a jr earning her B.S.N.and no pregnancies. I have not been concerned because she has priorities.So far so good with my teens.This works for my family.

Having said that in answer to your question you decide for your child what suits your family best

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It says that there is no sexual discription although mention of an orgy and other things. this is acceptable to me. Remember it's a book wrote in 1932, it can't be all that bad.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

My kids haven't read it, but it was a choice in my DD's honor's english class for a class project in 10th grade. 

From the description I read I don't think I'd have a problem with it, but from past experience I can trust my daughter to discuss parts of books that concern her or that bother her, and we'll discuss them.

As stated above though, it's up to you to decide what is best for your family

mrjonesii
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Thanks ladies. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM
My DS read it, it's honestly nothing compared to social media and cable television.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I haven't read it, neither has my teen. If my teen had to read it when she was in high school, I would have been okay with it. The school board approves all books and movies shown in classrooms. Don't know how old your dd is/what grade she's in but I would imagine the book was deemed an appropriate read for the grade level.

If you're concern about how she will feel about the sexual references, discuss them with her.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Haven't read it, I looked for my son's and can't find it.  He is having to read a book about a woman beater who gets what he deserves.

umm.yeah
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I read it when I was in college.  I'm sure the school wouldn't have them read it if it was inappropriate. 

Manth
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I first read it when I was about 15 and have read it many times since as I love Science Fiction. In fact, it was assigned to my Year 12 class back in 1982.  Yes, sex is MENTIONED in the book in many situations.  However there is no DESCRIPTION of sex anywhere in the book.  I would have no qualms about either of my daughters ever reading the novel.

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Same here

Quoting mumsy2three:

I haven't read it, neither has my teen. If my teen had to read it when she was in high school, I would have been okay with it. The school board approves all books and movies shown in classrooms. Don't know how old your dd is/what grade she's in but I would imagine the book was deemed an appropriate read for the grade level.

If you're concern about how she will feel about the sexual references, discuss them with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN