Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

HIGH TIMES! 17 year old Stoner Son

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 45 Replies

My 17 year old son smokes pot all the time....I have found it in his room, empty baggies where it was, rolling papers, pipes.....He has been grounded, had his car taken away....you name it. He still smokes it. He truly sees nothing wrong with doing it. I'm fairly certain he smokes it every day.  I have tried to keep him focused since he is going to be a senior this year.  He doesn't even seem concerned about college or anything else. He does have a job and he never misses work. He isn't mouthy or disrespectful. But he lies a lot. I just don't know what to do....do I send him to rehab? Do I kick him out? Do I just ignore it? 

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Well, I'd tell him when he turns 18, if he wants to continue to smoke pot, he's going to have to find somewhere else to live. Regardless of his age, pot smoking is illegal, and I would not put myself at risk of going to jail for allowing that stuff in my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Talk to him.   Ask what he is self medicating.    I would take him to his doctor, explain the situation and get a referral to a counselor.    I also suggest having him do a researched report on the effects of marijuana, including the legal ramifications...for both you and him.   If he chooses to self medicate, he should make an educated choice.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
If he is underage and living at home, I would be searching his room daily. Smoking pot stops or rehab/police will be notified. No way will drugs fly in my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Pot can be addicting. It sounds like he needs some kind of help. Look into rehab and/or counseling.

I would not ignore it because illegal activity is happening in your house.

I would try to get him help before kicking him out. If he refuses to get help when he turns 18, kicking him out is an option.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If he is underage and living at home, I would be searching his room daily. Smoking pot stops or rehab/police will be notified. No way will drugs fly in my house.

This, it's truly the most LOVING thing you can do. In our state it's a felony and you can get in trouble for having it in your home as well. This is a downhill slide until you do something things will only get worse, won't just "get better" on it's on. You ahve to do something asap.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Barabell:

Pot can be addicting. It sounds like he needs some kind of help. Look into rehab and/or counseling.

I would try to get him help before kicking him out. If he refuses to get help when he turns 18, kicking him out is an option.

Yes, also the fact that it is addicting and causes brain damage to the frontal lobe of the brain (rational/logical thought) that can be life lasting. Best of luck Mama!

Lohasbabyfever
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally, I would rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol. I've never heard of anyone getting so high that they accidentally kill an entire family while driving under the influence. You also never hear of someone killing themselves while binge pot smoking. I'm always shocked when I talk to my young cousins about how they party and consume insane amounts of alcohol and the stories of their friends that end up in the ER with alcohol poisioning. They think it's funny, I think it's scary. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yep~

Quoting Barabell:

happybaby503
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well, are his grades bad? is he a bad child? If he is lacking in either of those then yes I would see a reason to be concerned. Is his behavior harmful or disruptive? Ultimately its your house, you set the rules. These are just questions to help you make that decision... GOOD LUCK!!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Lohasbabyfever:

Personally, I would rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol. I've never heard of anyone getting so high that they accidentally kill an entire family while driving under the influence. You also never hear of someone killing themselves while binge pot smoking. I'm always shocked when I talk to my young cousins about how they party and consume insane amounts of alcohol and the stories of their friends that end up in the ER with alcohol poisioning. They think it's funny, I think it's scary. 

Both are illegal activities for a 17 year old, and I don't see how this is an "either or" situation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)