Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen boyfriend/girlfriends PDA?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 36 Replies

I went to dinner with friend's this weekend and their 14 yo son brought his girlfriend.   They are going into their freshman year and it was SOOO UNCOMFORTABLE.   They stood for the whole hour we were waiting for a table facing each other holding both hands, hugging, deaply kissing, touching each others stomach/legs.... there was not 30 seconds that they weren't touching each other.    There were several other families (4 adult couples, 5 other ball players (baseball team dinner) and several younger siblings.    At the table they were the same.... all over each other touching the whole time.   (No other player had a girl friend there.)

What amout of public physical affection would/do you allow your teen to have with their boyfriend, girlfriend, significant other?

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mt0130
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I would feel uncomfortable with anyone I was out with doing what these 2 kids were doing. I don't care what age you are there are some things that are just not appropriate in public. I wouldn't like it if I were out with another adult couple and that they were all over each other the whole time, I wouldn't know where to look the whole time we were in there company. If I were the parent of either the boy or the girl I think I would have told them to cool it while we were out. The real question in my mind is if they are doing all this with other people around what are they doing when they are alone, in my opinion they are too young to be this involved at 14.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Hand holding and a little kissing is fine.

I have always told mine to not to do anything they would be uncomfortable they would see their dad and I doing.

So far it's worked, honestly I would have said something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, neither of my dd's would act like that in front of me or my friends, and they are 18 and 27!  And my oldest is married.  The fact that they are acting like that is inappropriate and embarrassing, but the fact that they are 14 and that physically comfortable together is extremely concerning - or should be.

I did not allow my dd's to date at 14, so I certainly wouldn't be allowing that kind of physical contact.  The parents of these teens obviously allow them to spend a lot of time together, and apparently are o.k. with their relationship.  That is worrisome, and it's a recipe for disaster.  I hope they are making sure they have birth control. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM
No way at any age. At 14 what are they doing in private or sneaking away and doing????? I would have said something like Get A Room to embarass them as well as the parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I would have said something about the deap kissing (if it was tongue) and excessive touching-but I want them to feel comfortable to show affection to their BF/GF-I wasnt told or shown that affection was good with my parents.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Hand holding and a little kissing is fine.

I have always told mine to not to do anything they would be uncomfortable they would see their dad and I doing.

So far it's worked, honestly I would have said something.

That's good advice. I'll remember that with my son. Thanks.

I agree that hand holding and a little kissing is acceptable. That goes for any age. Last hockey season, two adults decided to make out while sitting next to me while I was watching my son's practice. Definitely not cool, and they were even older than I am.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Parental affection is different than 2 14 year olds. Its inappropriate.

Quoting momto3infl:

I would have said something about the deap kissing (if it was tongue) and excessive touching-but I want them to feel comfortable to show affection to their BF/GF-I wasnt told or shown that affection was good with my parents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM
4 moms liked this

I am fine with holding hands, a simple hug or quick kiss on the lips.

If my dd and her bf showed that much PDA in public with us,  I would have told them to knock it off.

I work in a hs and have no problem telling teens to break it up as I walk through the hallways.

CTBmom
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
That definitely would not have been okay with me. My 15 year-old son has been dating his gf for almost 9 months, and they are allowed to hold hands and give each other a quick kiss on the lips in public, but that's it. And it's not about the age either....I don't feel that constant touching and French kissing is something that any couple should do in public. My son is a little more affectionate at home with his gf, but I monitor that as well. Last weekend she was over and they were on the couch and my son was leaning over her and the kissing looked a little too intense so I poked my head in the room and said "take a breath you two". They both looked at me a bit sheepishly, and went back to watching their movie, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with the OP. I'd be bothered by anyone acting like that in public, but especially two young teenagers.

There's a time and a place for everything, and a restaurant is not the place to be making out. That was inappropriate and rude towards the other guests at the table.

If I was the boy's parents, once they started that, I'd have separated them, with a parent sitting in between them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)