Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What's an appropriate graduation or 18 year old gift?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
  • 30 Replies

Another mom asked advice on what to buy her soon to be 18 year old for her birthday.  I'm not wanting to talk about that but it got me to thinking what I got and what would I do for my children.

Did you get anything for turning 18 or graduating high school?

Will you do anything special for your children?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrjonesii
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I didn't get anything big or special for either.  The night I graduated we went out to dinner.

As for my girls the only thing I plan to do is give them a big party/gathering/picnic celebration of some sort for their graduation.  We may give them some money.  We don't plan to do anything big for their 18th birthday.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM
No we didn't. Mine don't like bday parties so they get some money and go do what they want to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM
At 16 I got my dd's Coach purses. Small ones that were not too expensive. At 18, nothing special. They both got cars when they were around 17 but not new ones and not $20,000. Graduation they got laptops as they had to use family computers before that time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meandyou007
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM

my daughter just graduated and her favorite gift was just money or a gift card.  the best gift cards are the one that can be used anywhere like the visa, american express etc.

savedbygrace316
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

My parents gave me cash.  I wanted to buy a bus ticket to visit a guy friend that lived 8hrs away.  I had just graduated and was moving out less than a month after my birthday.  My parents weren't thrilled with the idea but they couldn't really stop me.  They decide to be supportive and all went well.

DS will get something decent.  It will probably be college related (housing stuff, car, bike, clothes, etc) something along those lines.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Alot of people buy luggage for graduation, not sure why.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I don't know either. No storage room for it at school. We have a ton of luggage for our family anyway, lol.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Alot of people buy luggage for graduation, not sure why.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I got a pistol for my graduation from high school...lol I was a police explorer and working on my degree in criminal justice. My parents wanted to give me something useful. So I got a "backup" gun. I love it!

It meant a lot to me, Dad and I spent hours going to ranges together and trying different guns for fit, reliability, etc. It was bonding.

What I get my kids will depend on his job/ life choices. I have one that wants to go into the military. I would lean to helping him with a car, another thinking engineering, he may get a laptop and drafting toools, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
6kidsSTEPH
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM
my mother got my brother kitchen thing (such as pots and pans, utensils, and a crock pot) for his 18th birthday. he was planning on moving out, which he did, and it was perfect. it really helped.
PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

A party and money is what I got.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)