Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Minor's Rights

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM
  • 33 Replies

There's alot of talk about minor's rights amongst the parents around my neighborhood.  It seems to be ridiculous the things these people think are their child's rights.

I believe that a child has the right to live in a safe, secure and sane environment.  That's about covers it.

They believe all sorts of things such as:

The right to be promoted to the next grade.
The right to be given a week's notice on any quiz or test as well as a redo if they do poorly
The right to be given a car without working for it
The right to have a cell phone
The right to watch whatever they want on tv

There's tons more, what is the most outragious "Right" you've heard other PARENTS say their kids are entitled to?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol those all sound like PRIVILEGES to me, def not rights!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I think kids have a right to feel secure, to feel loved unconditionally by their parents, to have nutritious food, adequate shelter, and weather appropriate clothing, and a right to have the opportunity to be educated.

I believe they have a responsibility to be respectful, thankful, helpful and appreciative, and to use the opportunity for education to work hard and learn.

I have heard people say that their kids have the right to drive, even though they are irresponsible and put themselves and others in danger.  That they have the right to date or have a bf or gf (even if they are only 12, , 13, or 14.  That they have the right to just be kids and have no responsiblity.  That they have the right to have all of their privileges even if they act badly or are disrespectful and irresponsible.  This culture creates entitled kids who don't know how to think or act on behalf of themselves.  It's shameful.  OUr job as parents is to prepare our children to go out into the world and be competent, capable, responsible, contributors in our society.  If they are irresponsible nuisances or drains on society, we have not done our job as parents.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Agree~ I think too many folks confuse rights with privileges these days, including the privilege to drive.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, no wonder there are entitled kids with dumbass parents like this. Kids donr need a cell phone,lol. Kids earn the right to the next grade. Kids do poorly on a test, study harder. A teacher has every right to give pop quizzes. No kid needs a car. What kind of neighborhood do you live in OP????? Just curious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My kids have the right to whatever I say they have a right to.

My recently turned 11 year old tries to pull the "It's a free country" crap on me (can you tell what he was learning in school?). I have made it very clear that until they are adults supporting themselves...this house is a dictatorship. 

It's a shame that wants and needs are getting completely mixed up, but I hear it quite a bit also.

lnrmom
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this

My kids have a right to an opinion. They can even express it, and I will respect it and take it into consideration. But I have the right to veto.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Agree!

Quoting mumsy2three:

Agree~ I think too many folks confuse rights with privileges these days, including the privilege to drive.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Exactly. This entitlement attitude is a huge issue for the upcoming generation. Not saying all are that way, but it's an issue for far too many.

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, no wonder there are entitled kids with dumbass parents like this.
Kids donr need a cell phone,lol. Kids earn the right to the next grade. Kids do poorly on a test, study harder. A teacher has every right to give pop quizzes. No kid needs a car. What kind of neighborhood do you live in OP????? Just curious.

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
They have a right to food, water, clothing, shoes, shelter, and an education. Anything else is a privilege and is subject to being removed or taken should I decide to do so!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I live out in the country but it's alot worse in the city.  It's like this almost everywhere, these parents who think this are becoming more common.

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, no wonder there are entitled kids with dumbass parents like this. Kids donr need a cell phone,lol. Kids earn the right to the next grade. Kids do poorly on a test, study harder. A teacher has every right to give pop quizzes. No kid needs a car. What kind of neighborhood do you live in OP????? Just curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)