Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

There's alot of talk about minor's rights amongst the parents around my neighborhood.  It seems to be ridiculous the things these people think are their child's rights.

I believe that a child has the right to live in a safe, secure and sane environment.  That's about covers it.

They believe all sorts of things such as:

The right to be promoted to the next grade.
The right to be given a week's notice on any quiz or test as well as a redo if they do poorly
The right to be given a car without working for it
The right to have a cell phone
The right to watch whatever they want on tv

There's tons more, what is the most outragious "Right" you've heard other PARENTS say their kids are entitled to?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Replies (31-33):
Alyssa1992
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

my mom obviously thinks my 17 year old sister has the right to a brand freakin new car.. it has 383 miles on it.. i had to work for my truck.. and im still working for it while she got this for free.. not to mention i live in louisiana and there is no air in my truck and im 4 and a half months preggers!

Kholt
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

As I tell my kids  I must provide them with clothing (not the latest fashions just something to protect their body from the elements)  i must provide them food (not feed them since they arnt babies and doesnt have to be food of their choosing) and I provide a home (not nec their own rooms or decorations  just a bed and a dresser) and I must love them but thats not hard to do (and i dont have to like them)  everything else they get  they get because i love them and want to be nice to them  but they can not complain if they dont have every wish fufilled. They are owed nothing  they have been given life whether they chose to be born or not. They belong to me until the pink slip expires at age 18  and it gets extended if they continue to live in my home. Their choice.  

I have heard kids have right to choose own clothes  (not 100$ shoes ect in my opin)  Kids have right to decide what they watch read listen to  (nope)  kids have right to privacy (umm no especially since they take my privacy away)  They expect cars (not my kids )  I dont understand why parents teach these children they are owed all this stuff just because they were born

cpittaz
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Joe but no one ever said life asa parent would be roses

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting cpittaz:

I'm constantly trying to teach my teens the difference between a privledge and a right.  And pretty much they have the right to live life.  I have a right to take away all their privledges if they don't do what is expected.

It's not easy is it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)