Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think this is okay or invading her privacy?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM
  • 69 Replies
My 13 year old daughter has a facebook and has had one for a while now. Ever since she got it, I've had the password and sometimes go on to it and look through her messages, photos, and even friends to make sure they are all people she knows. We do have a good sense of trust between us and she is a responsible and well-prepared 13-year-old, but I feel that I still want to check up on her. I also go through her phone texts from time to time. I want you ladies' honest opinions of what you think this is, okay or invading of her privacy.

Thanks in advance!!

~Carlie <3
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scraphappy12
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:05 AM
3 moms liked this
I do all of the above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Manth
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:10 AM
5 moms liked this

My girls are 16 and 17 and I have had their Facebook passwords from the day they first got it at 13.  I don't OFTEN go check on them because I trust them but the fact is I could check at any time and they know it.  Same with their phones - I don't OFTEN check but I reserve the right to do so to keep them safe.  Teens often don't have the self-preservation to know when something is OK and when it crosses the line - that's when we parents have to step up to the plate.

i43tinker
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont think you are exspecially with facebook there are alot of weirdos out there 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I think what you are doing is fine. Mine were not allowed FB at 13.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I think that what you are doing is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
You need to be checking facebook. Computers are not private. I told my girls I can see everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally don't think that children have the right of privacy EXCEPT with it concerns their body.  If I am suspicious of something, I check.  Other than that, I don't.  Now of course if their phone is going off like crazy I might take it and tease them by reading the texts and responding myself.  Or I might log into their facebook to send me gifts for games, but that's it unless I am suspicious of something.

joyfulmom30
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

As a parent if my son had a facebook account or a cell phone I would do the same. And as the parent it is not invading her privacy, it's called be a responsible parent and knowing what your child is doing at all times.

mom23heathens
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

There is no such thing as privacy in my house. My kids barged in on me in the shower, on the pot, eavesdropped on my phone conversations and made comments unsolicited, etc. Now if they expect to close a door, talk on the phone without me eavesdropping and looking at call logs, go online anysite and not give me a password, they have lost their minds. I have the password to their college dashboards. If they want privacy they can get a job and move out and pay for their own phone, internet and insurance.  have kids between 9-22. I still pay some of the bills for my kids not at home. I am privvy to all that i have to pay for.

sunflowers12
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
No, due to her age I think its fine... Better safe then sorry.. at least for now:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)