Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would You Support Your Child's Decision to Violate A Court Order In This Instance?

Sexually Assaulted Girl Who Tweeted her Attackers' Names Should Have Facebooked Them Too

Posted by Deborah Cruz

scales of justiceLast year, Savannah Dietrich, 17, was sexually assaulted. Two teenage boys attacked her while she was unconscious, bragged about it, and circulated photos of the assault. Lock them up and throw away the key, right? Not so much. The court gave the two offenders a lenient punishment. So Dietrich thought she'd dole out her own kind of justice: She tweeted the names of her juvenile assailants for all the world to see.

The little jerks deserved it.

The problem is, Dietrich's tweet violated a court order to keep the two juveniles names confidential. And so, the victim of a heinous crime was facing contempt of court charges for which SHE could be thrown in jail.

Fortunately the boys' attorneys wised up and the charges were withdrawn. But what the heck were they thinking? Something is severely wrong when we start holding the victim to a higher standard of criminal justice than the animals who attacked her.

Was what she did illegal? Hell yeah. Was she in contempt of court? Legally, she probably was. But would we hold a father in contempt of court for punching the molester who ruined his child’s life? Would we hold a mother who bitch-slapped her daughter’s rapist in contempt of court? How about the dad who called the murderer of his only son a murder when it was still “alleged”? How could we even consider holding a girl in contempt of court for outing her attackers on Twitter when she felt she wasn’t getting justice any place else?

If Dietrich were my daughter, I'd be all for her decision to tweet her attackers’ names. There comes a point when you see your child hurting so much that you allow them to do whatever they need to survive the pain to a point. Not only would I have condoned my daughter’s legally fuzzy tweeting of her assaulters names, I would have retweeted it to infinity, Facebooked it and Stumbled those assholes' names. Pinned their faces on Pinterest and announced to the entire world via every single social media avenue I had that these boys were sexually assaulting monsters that should be kept away from everyone’s daughters.

How is it that anyone could ever consider punishing the victim while giving her attackers a slap on the wrist?

Would you support your child's decision to violate a court order to tweet out the names of her attackers if it meant she could possibly end up in jail herself? 

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Replies (31-37):
PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Quoting missybest:

Absolutely!  We need to stop protecting criminals!  Way past time to protect and heal the victims!

I like this!

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Quoting FindersKeepers:

The court and the media failed her... her name and picture were released. 

Quoting 3_are_mine:

I would absolutely stand behind my child. Just because they are juveniles the court feels their names should not be released, that it may follow them the rest of there lives, what about her? This will definitely affect her whole life and she cannot just oust this behind her in a closed file and move on.

The courts are failing to many and I am seeing it everyday!

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Please READ the Constitition and 1st Amendment. There are limits. You can't just say or do whatever you want and plead Freedom of Speech.

Quoting SoTravelNow:

Of course I would support her!  150%  Where is freedom of speech?  It protects the guily but not the victim???  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoTravelNow
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Thank you I know the constitution quite well an in my opinion giveds her freedom of speech and no recourse to slander since the kids were not charged.  I would let it be her choice as hse was the one victimized and has to deal with the consequences.  How is it that we can have leaks all over due to national security and no one is charged?  I actually find that it is her freedom of speech to tell others and confront her accusers.  sorry I guess we just need to agree to disagree on this one.

mamma1993
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM

If a gag order is in place you have no right to break the law.You are still talking juveniles .The laws apply to them differently and for a good reason.Some kids do not understand extent of the crime they are committing.Don`t know about you but I have read more then enough stories about kids being tried as adults.I do understand the way feel.My daughter was jumped in someones basement and got the hell beat out of her.I had to fight in order to get even a police report filed.All the kids were under 15 and there was 4 girls beating her and 2 as watch outs.I still get so damn angry I almost choke from it.Almost 20 years later my daughter is doing great and is now friends with one of the girls.All the girls grew up and most have families and never got in trouble again.

Quoting SoTravelNow:

Of course I would support her!  150%  Where is freedom of speech?  It protects the guily but not the victim???  

morriganna
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Absolutely.

morriganna
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Quoting lnrmom:

Not only would I have stood behind her, but I would have encouraged her to "anonymously" release the names to the media.

These boys not only raped her but published photos of the act and of HER online. This was an incredibly violating act for her, something she had no control over. The law is the law, but fair is fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)