Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Summer time sleeping

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay where I live its usually hotter than hell in the summer... Atm its 10:36am and its already 100' and supposed to hit 115' by noon... Needless to say my kids do not go outside until evening time... Anyways... My point is my kids are stuck in the house alot during summer... I let them play their games, watch movies, play with their toys etc... they do their chores everyday... But when nite hits thats when the 2nd wind hits my son Joseph... He turned 13 in Feb... Most nites hes been pulling all niters... falling asleep about 6am or so... I have let him do it and then sleep the day away since its summertime... But schools getting closer and hes going to be starting junior high, having to get up earlier... so I am just wondering if any of you have this issue or maybe had it? I can not make him fall asleep at nite and he tells me he tries... Should I wake him up earlier the next morning?? Make him tired throughout the day and then maybe he would go to sleep earlier?? I am just in need of some others opinions... Thanks for reading...

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Wake him up early and let him deal with being tired. My kids can go to sleep when they want but are awake by 10 am in the summer. Then as school get's closer I move the hour ahead by 1 hour till they are at school wake up time.

PinkieRed
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM
My kids (they're 9 and 14) have regular bedtimes on school days, and I don't let them stay up too late on weekends/during the summer either, because I think it interferes too much with them going back to their regular sleep schedule.

They go to bed at 9-9:30 on school nights, and no later than midnight on weekends or during the summer. This is only if they don't have to get up early in the mornings, like when my son was going to summer day camp while I was working. Usually they fall long before midnight, anyway.

This summer my 14 year old daughter was enrolled in a 5 week academic program at a local college, and had to leave the house at 8:10 every morning, to catch the bus there, so I had her going to bed no later than 10:30PM, usually 10.

I don't however, wake them up at any particular time on weekends or days off, unless we have somewhere to go in the mornings. I don't see the point in waking them up early, if we don't have plans. My son is up by 9-9:30AM naturally anyway, on weekends or days off, and my daughter rarely sleeps past noon on weekends/days off. Most of the time she's up by 10:30- 11.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I am sure most everyone with older kids is having the same things going on and that's just the way it goes in certain areas like tx here its in the triple didg, today .. no one wants to go out in that heat.. I just don't really worry about it til its time too.. try to get back to norm, the weekend before school...
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM
My kids never had too much of a problem. They were tired and adjusted the first few days. No one can ever sleep that night before first day of school anyway. However the all nighter may make a diff as they have their clocks turned around? Idk, I worked the night shift 7p-7a for years 3 days a week and was always able to adjust back pretty quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Start waking him up early at least a week or two before school starts. My son is starting junoir high in Sept too, and the start time is much earlier. I also want him to get used to getting up early again before school starts.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My kids never had too much of a problem. They were tired and adjusted the first few days. No one can ever sleep that night before first day of school anyway. However the all nighter may make a diff as they have their clocks turned around? Idk, I worked the night shift 7p-7a for years 3 days a week and was always able to adjust back pretty quickly.

Mine too though I agree a summer of all nighters could make a difference.

On the first day they all have come home and crashed by 9:30 to 10:00.

Maybe add melatonin the week before school starts.It can help reset their clock.A nephew was a late night bartender one summer during college and didn't get to bed till 4.His bio clock had a hard time readjusting to school type hours.A week of melatonin did the trick.

Good luck

SoCaliChick760
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM

They have pulled a cpl all niters not the whole summer lol... They have chores and get to help me out around the house so I will make them put on a movie sometimes and usually it will put my lil guy out... and the other two wind down as well... They just like to wait til daddy and mommy fall asleep to try and play the game again or go on youtube and watch videos... When they do that they pull their all niters w/o us knowing unless we catch them when we get up to pee etc or in the morning when they are cranky and do not want to get up... I had a talk with them about it... They are actually doing better already... They are staying up the latest midnite and now up usually by 10am... I don't let them go past 10:30am anymore... And the closer we get the more I will change it back to school times... Thank you all for reading and all the input and advice... I do trully appreciate it! :) 

Quoting drfink:

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Mine too though I agree a summer of all nighters could make a difference.

On the first day they all have come home and crashed by 9:30 to 10:00.

Maybe add melatonin the week before school starts.It can help reset their clock.A nephew was a late night bartender one summer during college and didn't get to bed till 4.His bio clock had a hard time readjusting to school type hours.A week of melatonin did the trick.

Good luck

CampClan
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

My 16yo DS will go to sleep around 1 or 2am & not get up til about 11am the next day. If he has soccer things to do he will go to bed at a "decent" time (10pm) & get up at 7am in order to be where he needs to be. I don't like the idea of him staying up late because of school starting in a month (YIKES I NEED TO GET SCHOOL SUPPLIES) but I trust him enough to know what he needs to do & to get it done. Sometimes his chores don't get done before I get home from work, but they do when I get home. Really all I care about is that they are done (having them done at a certain time doesn't matter unless it's dishes for dinner).

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM
My kids can go to bed when they choose but must be up by 9:30 am lol it's not often that stay up past 12 am
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

About 2 weeks before school starts, we get on the school schedule.  Bedtime for school, alarms on, I expect to see them already finished breakfast, chores, and dressed properly for the day by the time they would have to go to the bus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)