Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Allergies

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

Remember when we were in school?  Do you remember all these allergies and stuff when we were in school?  Peanut allergies, severe life threatening allergies?  I mean I was the kid allergic to bees and all, but food allergies were not something we really heard about.  No restrictions on the water hose either?

Someone brought up an idea to me about what could possibly be the problem and why all of these allergies and things have been brought about.  The antibiotics that are in the foods we eat these days could be keeping our bodies from building up our much needed antibodies.

Anyone think that this is the case or do you have another idea.  It simply can't be because no one knew about it, after all, a lethal allergy to peanuts would be discovered pretty quickly.

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm sure the antibiotics in foods have something to do with it, as do all the antibacterial cleaners that are used everywhere.  The "too clean" syndrome, it's been written about a lot.  Not to mention, much unhealthier women in general having babies - and then all the lifesaving meds and equipment that keeps very sick babies alive.

And don't even get me started on routine sonograms - my own personal feeling is that eventually they will find it causes all sorts of things - autism, or allergies, or other problems.  We used to, after all, think unlimited xrays were worth it too.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I had tons of allergies but nothing severe. I agree maybe a few with bad bee sting allergies. I had allergy shots for 3 years when I was 5, 6, and 7 and that helped me a ton.
One sonogram is fine. I had 2 with my oldest because of bleeding. One with my youngest. Dh's work makes ultrasounds. They can be harmful. Its known, but some people just want them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

yeah, there could be a link between all of it because i remember never hearing about all the illnesses and problems that are now around us it seems more n more everyday.. it could be that they were there and just didn't have the tags yet because they just didn't effect the amount of people as today..

eye rollingit could be environmental, foods,stress levels.. lots of possibilities

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

My brother had many allergies as a child. My mom had to give him daily shots for them. He isn't allergic to most of the things that he was, now just bee stings. When I was younger I remember one class mate that was allergic to nuts and one that was allergic to strawberries. That was it.

I am currently dealing with stomach issues so far we think I may be lactose intolerant, never was before and I am going to discuss wheat intolerance with my doctor when I see him in August. I have been keeping a food log and am noticing that everytime I eat wheat products I get really bad stomach pains and all that. Again, never had problems before but I also just had my gallbladder out in December not sure if there is a link.

I agree that there are many possible reasons for them. It's interesting how much more you hear about them now though.

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That's a good point to ponder.  Thanks for sharing with us.

rollinhard07
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM
That's a good point. Not only allergies but how about how early kids are starting puberty. My daughter who is 11 now started "developing" when she was 8 1/2-9 years old, and she's sprouting like a bean sprout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM
My kids have seasonal allergies, and my son has mild allergies to dogs and cats, and also to dust mites. Both also have asthma, as do I.

I have a niece who is severely allergic to cats to the point that she can't even be in the same house as a cat, or she'll end up sick enough to have to go to the ER. Her brother is severely allergic to bees. He has to carry an epi-pen.

Another niece is allergic to eggs and shellfish, and several of my nieces/nephews have seasonal allergies and/or asthma. Asthma and allergies are very much hereditary.

I think the rise in asthma is due to our society becoming more and more urbanized, and also polluted. I read that the rise in peanut allergies may be a result of more babies being formula fed these days, as many baby formulas contain soy, which is related to nuts. Sounds possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Good point!   I've often thought that the various ailments and illnesses experienced today are the result of  technology.    Think about it.   Microwaves, cell phones, I Pods, computers....the list goes on.    Add to it all the processed foods, fast food and soda pop consumed by society since the 70's.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:23 AM
I also agree the increase is something environmental.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:07 AM
It is something for sure...antibiotic I am not so sure...doest make sense to me. They have been around forever...could also be that so many of us live longer, medicine gets better, we are no longer survival of the fittest if you know what I mean. Our gene pool is weaker. 50 years a go if you had an allergic reaction you probably died...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN