Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Hate the school system ...*UPDATE* in purple

My oldest is headed to high school. the high schools here start on Monday.

We applied back in June for him to attend one of the better schools in the district that offers a robotics and engineering program and I have heard nothing.

I call the district and they said call the school, one person at the school says, "Nope, no way, not possible!", the next person says, "Oh, yeah, shouldn't be a problem." ...

Now I'm waiting for a call back from the assistant principal to see what the heck we are going to do.

OK - it nearly took an act of God...but I GOT HIM IN!!!

I finally got ahold of the Principal Mr R. on Thursday morning. He said he would accept him but needed district approval. He would call me back "within the hour" and let me know the status... I waited all day Thursday and started calling at 8am today... no answer, left messages, nothing.

Showed up at the school at 2:30... "Mr. R is unavailable" ..OMG...really? He said he would call back yestterday.. Uggg.. Secretary says, well bring him and enroll him Monday, but if he's not accepted they will kick him out Tuesday.. REALLY? Is that an answer?? @@

I drove my arse over to the district! LOL and went and sat in the District coordinator's office. She finally said, Oh yeah, I had a message from Mr. R but hadn't had a chance to call him back @@.

After hearing my talk with Mr. R she wrote up my approval letter right there :) Now I have to go enroll him on Monday. Classes start at 7:30 am but they will not open new registration until 7:45am. So the chaos of everyone with a schedule is over and done. LOL

Mr. R was really helpful and really nice... I appreciated how he worked. He couldn't really call me back since he had no answer, I get that . but the system IS flawed.I do appreciate the Principal's manner and attitude.

I took DS school shopping tonight - got him 2 new outfits and all his supplies... he is SO EXCITED!

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Replies (31-32):
Msgme
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

There were over 7000 kids in nyc that were in summer school that did not need to be. Over 1200 of them lost out on the 8th grade graduation because they can't get their crap together.

I have a dd also starting high school and the school she is attending is much better.  Since the day we got her acceptance letter they  have been great. Before she finished 8th grade she was able to go to the H.S and pick out her classes for next year. So we know what classes she's taking.  due to her middle school not offering her a regents in Spanish she's stuck in Spanish 1 but she's happy with an easier class.  She was able to apply for an advanced science class and we were informed within 2 weeks that she got in.  we know what she'll need for that class. She's in a art school and in the performing arts program  that she had to audition for. (little brag over 500 kids auditioned and 32 seats and she got in)  We know the list of plays she'll be reading for her Theatre classics class. She's had 1 orientation already and another the end of august. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Uggg... wow...its amazing how the kids are looked at like cattle...just push them through and dont take individuality into consideration.

I'm gearing up for a battle on Monday. I want him tested out of Spanish 1 (he has studied it for 3 years) and he has already completed Algebra1 so he needs geometry. I don't want him starting off bored!

Quoting Msgme:

I feel your pain about the system being flawed. The problems started before summer but for the sake of keeping this shorter i'll start there. 2 days before 8th grade graduation I get a letter saying my son was not allowed to graduate because he failed the math test. He had to go to summer school and re take the math test. i  sign him up for summer school.  They put him in an English-language arts class instead of math. They tell him they'll fix it the next day. of course they don't. tell me the next day. which of course they don't. Then I'm told the computer says E.L.A not math and they don't know how to fix it.  i show them the paperwork saying he failed t he Math test.  They promise to look into it.  in the mean time they will teach him math while in an E.L.A class.  they of course don't give him more than 10 minutes of math a day. 2 weeks into summer school I'm on the phone with the principal of his school turns out he never failed the math test. He actually passed but they only had the preliminary results before summer school started.  He never failed could of graduated and was in a useless class.

that's not where it ends. I get the paperwork for his High school.   We knew a few months ago which school he got into. Its a good school. he was in their Social Studies-Law dept.  It was our 3rd choice in the application process.  we were happy.  Get the paperwork from school and they now have him in the ART dept. My son is not an art student.  I'm waiting to hear back from someone about fixing this because he will not do well in an art program.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Glad you got it worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN