Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

This is where I live

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Ida
  • 10 Replies

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/19228549/dayton-officials-motorized-wheelchairs-pose-risk

The problem isn't the people who need them it is the people who are to lazy to walk and use them for transportation kids included.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That is risky. I'm not sure why anyone would use a mortoized wheelchair on the same road as cars.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I hope the ADA can do something about it, for those who need to use those roads.  When I was wheelchair bound, the streets I needed were fixed...  I cannot imagine anyone using one who doesn't need one.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Wow that's crazy for people to use them who don't need them?? Where are they getting them? I've never heard of that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

They redo our sidewalks  every year before the strawberry festival so they are in good shape  but they insist on riding in the road.

Quoting Barabell:

That is risky. I'm not sure why anyone would use a mortoized wheelchair on the same road as cars.

02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

They could use the sidewalks which are in very good shape and cross at crosswalks but insist on riding in the  middle of the road

That is dangerous for the cars and the person n the chair.

If they were to get hit it might make them in one for real.

Quoting MrsBLB:

I hope the ADA can do something about it, for those who need to use those roads.  When I was wheelchair bound, the streets I needed were fixed...  I cannot imagine anyone using one who doesn't need one.

02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

There is a family where nobody needs one but they take turns using one.  Kids included they might ride by then come back and be walking and someone else will be in the chair.  The pawn shops and thrift stores sell them cheap. 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Wow that's crazy for people to use them who don't need them?? Where are they getting them? I've never heard of that?

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

IDK we have people here who do it also, plus 4 wheelers, and golf carts. I think it comes down to motorist being aware of what is going on around them. Same thing has been pointed out when it comes to motorcycles. 

Now having said that....it drives me crazy lol

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Wow I have never heard of those being used that way.There is an assisted care center near our middle school...LOL ...there is a motorized Scooter Gang .There is a center with several small restaurants in it near by and the Scooter Gang doesn't wait for anyone !!!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
There should be a law against something like that since it really does pose a poss danger.

Quoting 02nana07:

There is a family where nobody needs one but they take turns using one.  Kids included they might ride by then come back and be walking and someone else will be in the chair.  The pawn shops and thrift stores sell them cheap. 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Well that would never fly in California!  They wouldn't last a day on the road here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)