Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you go snooping through your teenagers room

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes first of I pay Rent their not that child.Second in my head a child has not rights in my house until they pay taxes and hopefully they will be ready to move out by then. Come on parent are you crazy you should know about everything that comes and goes in your house.

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
debbiekc1975
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM
I would if I felt there was a need. My 13 yo is very responsible and I have no concerns (yet) but, they know I have the right to do it as the parent. Also the kids use my computer so I keep tabs on what they do on there as well as cell phones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sandsam
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely....and I have. My 14 yr dd has been reminded many times that I am free to search her room at any time and for any reason.

rwblake2011
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Quoting jenandpetersmom:

If I had a reason to snoop, yes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaities-mom
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand why a parent would search their child's room. Don't you remember how you were as a child? I think you would know if you had to search your childs room. If you just search their room for no reason and the child finds out, you will most likely never have him/her come to you for anything. They deserve their own privacy and space and so did you as a child. Their room is very important to them, its THEIR "hideaway" from everything and when you take that away by snooping then thats when they will rebel. Just my opinion.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Only when i'm giving reason to.  I've gone thru my dd's facebook because i caught her lying alot.  For a time there she lost all sense of privacy.  She earned it back and only if i have reason to will i snoop again. 

3rd2bedue
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Going to try to have my house as SECRET free as I can muster! Things hidden are like lies in my mind, ya know deceit er whatever! So being really open and free with each and every member of my little family is how ild like it. As in there being no reason to sit behind closed bedroom doors all day and when I go into their room to tidy up there should be nothing to find that would be displeasing! They can have private time in the bathroom where that is normal to have, or go out of the home if they want to be undisturbed by any family I guess. IDK we will see, my sons are not even in pre-k yet soooooooooooo ive got a while to decide. HOWEVER I do recall just a short while ago what invasion of my space felt like, and I NEVER want my boys to feel that way so we will see how I decide to do things for us! I just want so bad though to have a really close relationship with my kids so they NEVER feel the need to hide ANYTHING from me EVER! Its tricky DONT I KNOW IT, but ill try super super hard to get us all to that point of openness! ^_^ Would I go so far as to read a journal of their thoughts, NO, lol, that would not interest me I dont think. But the idea of a mother having limits over knowledge of her own child bothers me some! 

<<< in retrospect, I dont like the children are entitled to privacy too line of thinking. I would not put my view quite as cut edge sharp as the poster did, but I tend to lean that way also. Im not going to go searching for something unless I have a reason, but their rooms WOULD NEVER be off limits to my looking around, just the same I would allow them to look through my things at their leisure, NO SECRETS ya know, does that make sense to ANYONE or am I a crazy chick expecting TOO much in this aspect of my families future??? 

Madammeke
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I don't snoop it is my house and I clean and check it.
YoloChristal
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

YES..IF I SUPSPECT DRUG USE 7 WILL VEN CK HIS CAR WHEN HE'S SLEEPING..

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

By your logic of you only earn rights when you pay taxes, then homeless people don't have rights? Renters don't have rights? People who have no taxable income on their income tax return don't have rights?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Only if I had a reason to. I have always told my kids privacy is an earned privilege...so far up to this point my kids have earned that privilege and I trust them so nope I haven't....and won't unless given a reason..

malxslady
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Yes I would but I do not have to since they know that they do not have the right to privacy in my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)