Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son won't clean his room, HELP

Posted by   + Show Post

How can I get my son to clean his room? I have asked him several times and all he wants to do is sleep. What can I do to get him motivated. Thanks....

eye rolling

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Replies (11-17):
MrsBLB
by Missi on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I agree 

Quoting 02nana07:

And tell him anything not earned back will be donated to someone who will appreciate it 

Quoting boysmom5:

Give him one more chance and a time frame. A the end of the time frame, go into his room and box/bag everything up, with the exception of a single weeks worth of clothes. Leave the furniture, of course. Let him earn back his belongings by keeping his room clean. Sounds drastic, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

xxMocahFrappxx
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I agree
but op, should there be a concern (medically) about him sleeping so much?

Quoting tyfry7496:

Make sure there's no food in his room and then SHUT THE DOOR. if he wants to live in a mess let him. Don't get his dirty clothes either. If he wants clean clothes he can find them and wash them himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpep100
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I am that way with mine, but even then that had failed, and she's a girl. So now I give her a 5 minute warning if she has not done it in a couple hours. The 5 minute warning means Facebook ready, cuz mommy is posting a pic! Did it twice, she died a little of embarrassment each time, but it worked.

Now it's school... She wants to go to this new school... 40 miles a day for me to drive her. She had to keep her room clean, or I'm not driving her, she can go back to the public school down the road. Her room stays real clean for that.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Life stops unless chores are done. No computer, no music, no. Cell phone.

If all he wants to do is sleep...remove the mattress.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dobrd
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

boobear74, I never asked/told our boys to clean their rooms.. I don't want to see/smell it.. If they did clean up to change the sheets, then, they knew where they are to do it themselves.. I wasn't going to work this hard to get them to do something w/their rooms.. When their friends came, they told them about it.. Did the work for me.. Any dishes, glasses, wrappers, garbage they knew best get it where it belongs.. If I di it, EVERYTHING will be gone.. I didn't allow their stuff in my space. If so, it went w/the garbage man.. You need to back off to leave him in his own filth.. He cleans it or he doesn't.. Have him keep his door closed.. Boys can be outright pigs!! I know.. Let it ride.. Say nothing, go about your business.. Take Care, Donna....

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Donate everything. No friends or activities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

A messy room is the product of a daily & weekly habits. Having a huge dramatic draconian event certainly  makes a point, certainly serves to vent parental frustration, but not helpful in changing a daily and weekly habit long term. And it feels like an angry power move,disrespectful and mean, particularily since multiple options of effective daily or weekly behavior modification techniques have not been tried. Asking repeatedly is not behavior modification.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

My kids used to clean their rooms back when they were younger but it seems like the older they get the lazier they are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)