Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Off to college..... (venting mostly)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM
  • 35 Replies

my son is going off to college.  He has just graduated and now going to be on his own.  and I can't quit crying so I am there for him.  I am  happy for him.  This is what he wants.  It not a good bye forever.  It is a new chapter in his life.  But I am a mess and I have to drive him and get him set up and everything today and I did not sleep a wink last night as I was crying.  I am sorry I just needed to get this off my chest!!!

crying

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I hope it goes well. We say goodbye to our dd today, 7 hours from us. We are sad, but I have not cried, YET. I always loved the new stages in life. I never cried when my girls went to kindergarten either. We come home to an empty nest too because our 21 yo moved out over a month ago. Its a whole new stage for dh and I too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I cried also, it does get better.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hugs momma, it'll get better.

1moretolove
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I'm in the same boat, I moved my son in Friday. I haven't cried yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. Hang in there, momma, we can do this!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Just left campus. Cried for 1 minute. Dd is fine. She would never cry. Wish dd would have a friend already she is so shy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Hugs~

My dd isn't going off to college but yesterday she told me that her and her boyfriend are thinking about moving to another state. I think my heart burst into pieces when she said that. I tried to be positive b/c it's just discussion at this point but I will be very sad when she leaves the nest.

cege
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!  I'm flying with my daughter to take her to college on Wednesday.  I've been crying too.  She'll be 2,000 miles and two plane rides away from us.  I'm excited for her but am going to miss her terribly.  I'm also trying not to worry because she's still 17 and naive in some ways.  Thank God for cell phones and Skype.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Cried with both my older kids.It will get better.As soon as you hear from him and he tells you something interesting or fun or about a new friend that will help a lot.Hugs

DarlaHood
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Well I'm in this boat too.  My dd doesn't move in until Sept. 22, so as her friends are starting to leave for their colleges, and it's getting closer and closer, I am freaking out.  I know that I'm going to be crying all the way home.  And my dh is also pretty emotional when it comes to his dd's, so we'll be in it together.  It helps to see other moms have gone through it and it gets better.  I know my dd is feeling a bit nervous too.  She's excited, but we also have a very peaceful comfortable home, and I think she's trying to prepare herself.  Some of her friends just want to get away from home.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Hugs~

My dd isn't going off to college but yesterday she told me that her and her boyfriend are thinking about moving to another state. I think my heart burst into pieces when she said that. I tried to be positive b/c it's just discussion at this point but I will be very sad when she leaves the nest.

Oh my heart would feel like bursting also..

With my oldest I had steps and that helped a lot I think.First away to college then home for summers and he was still 2 hours away for 6 months after he graduated and commisioned.Then he moved away for good.That was hard enough.

When my oldest called and told me he was PCSing to Anchorage I thought I was going to break down and he was a 23 year old man.Fortunately he had to go and when he called back I had pulled myself together.

I looked it up he was closer to Tokyo than us ...didn't help LOL

Lots of hugs to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)