Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Off to college..... (venting mostly)

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is going off to college.  He has just graduated and now going to be on his own.  and I can't quit crying so I am there for him.  I am  happy for him.  This is what he wants.  It not a good bye forever.  It is a new chapter in his life.  But I am a mess and I have to drive him and get him set up and everything today and I did not sleep a wink last night as I was crying.  I am sorry I just needed to get this off my chest!!!

crying

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Today I bumped into a friend of mine that dropped her daughter off at Cornell. She cried the whole way home and the whole following morning. I told her how proud and happy I was for her daughter, and reminded my friend what a wonderful job she did to help set her daughter up for a great future. The same goes for you, allow your self to be happy for a job well done.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Awww.... Hugs!   It is such a bittersweet event.....going off to college.   

DarlaHood
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Hugs to you too!  My oldest dd left college and then told me she and her bf were moving several hours away across the state.  It broke my heart to pieces too.  They did move, but she missed home, and they both hated it there, so they came back 3 months later.  Thank God, because I was so torn up.  Hopefully your dd will decide not to move.  But if they do, it might not last.  Sometimes they don't know what they want yet.  I definitely know how you feel though.  It's so hard when we aren't quite ready to completely let go in one shot, and we have no transition to allow us to get used to things.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Hugs~

My dd isn't going off to college but yesterday she told me that her and her boyfriend are thinking about moving to another state. I think my heart burst into pieces when she said that. I tried to be positive b/c it's just discussion at this point but I will be very sad when she leaves the nest.

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I'll be taking my dd Fri, its an hour away Akron. umh I'm ok I just want her to make good choices and graduate with a BA lol

mt0130
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I was going to post about this also, we took our son 51/2 hours away to college on Thursday. I have been upset about the decision to go so far from home since he made it considering he is mostly a homebody. I warned him that he wouldn't be able to come home on a whim on weekends and that we couldn't come there either because of the distance, he was fine with it at the time. Everything went well with the move in, volunteers to help move the stuff. Although when we were unpacking I was doing most of it, it was like the realization that he was staying was setting in and he couldn't bring himself to do it. The college had pretty much 3 days of activities for families both together and separate which we did, the second day after one family activity we went to lunch and he left to go to the bathroom and wasn't coming back, when he finally did his eyes were all red! I was shocked I thought I would be the first one to break down. The reality hit him that he was someplace without any friends and so many people (3000) in his freshman class-he came from a high school with 140 in his class. Luckily every single speaker we had this weekend talked about wanting to leave at some point during their first month at college, so I had that to fall back on talking to him. Leaving yesterday was hard for all three of us, since he is our only child and now we have to deal with an empty nest while he deals with trying to fit in and meet other people. In the long run I think it will become easier for them than it will for us because this is the beginning of their adult life and we have to deal with them maybe not ever coming back home to live. The worst is the ride home and then when I walked into the house the first thing I saw was his graduation picture and I fell apart all over again. I'm sure the crying will become less for all of us as time goes on, as I told him the first month will be the hardest, and it will be not just for them but for us too.

PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I hate to tell you this but males have a harder time adjusting to being out on their own...He will be just fine and you will enjoy him all that much more when he comes home on time off.

JuliaWoods99
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Hugs

Shellness
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Look on the bright side. There are many many stories of our kids doing the "wrong" thing. You are lucky!

dobrd
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

mamaplus3, You want 'CRY?? When our oldest 1st started school, I watch him get on the bus, the bus drives away to his school.. I ran across to my SIL's house/ cried all day. Then, the 2nd week, he didn't want me to walk him to the bus(, right in front of the house), so, I peeked around the corner of the house to see him go.. He's a 'Big Boy' now so, mommy doesn't have to go w/him for the bus.. All I did was cry.. Next time was when he got on another bus for the Air Force.. Cried what seemed forever.. I know how you feel.. It gets better/easier.. He still will need you mom.. Take Care, Donna....

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM
We are home now. Its strange but it is ok. Dh and I will be fine. When we got home 21 yo came over to do laundry. It was nice to see her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)