Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Off to college..... (venting mostly)

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is going off to college.  He has just graduated and now going to be on his own.  and I can't quit crying so I am there for him.  I am  happy for him.  This is what he wants.  It not a good bye forever.  It is a new chapter in his life.  But I am a mess and I have to drive him and get him set up and everything today and I did not sleep a wink last night as I was crying.  I am sorry I just needed to get this off my chest!!!

crying

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I would like to think that I would not cry when my children go off-but I probably will. I am speaking from naivety (I am admitting to it) and my own experiences. When it was time for me to go to college, I could not afford to go to the university I was accepted to due to money issues. So I went to a community college. Although I was still living at home, my father acted like the community college was several states away; he did everything to jeopardized or put hurdles in my way, like refusing to sign my Financial Aid papers and threatening to come up to the school to "pull me out of the classes". It did not work; despite his efforts, I eventually ended up with a Bachelor's and now I am working on a Master's (he passed away in 2008, so he will not get to see me at my Graduate Commencement Ceremony).

I understand the tears, but from my experience I think that if I cry too much, it will be like I do not want them to leave-and I do; I want my daughters' journey to be easier than mine.

Yes, I am talking from the side of my neck right now. If Cafemom is up and running in four years, I will probably post about my unending tears and you ladies are welcome to bring up these comments.

Congrats to all moms who has children in college and those who will soon have them in college!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM

hugs

sunflowers12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Aw, it will be ok just take some time..
mamaplus3
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Thank you all.... it helps to know that I'm not the only momma out there with tears...
Ps... I had dry eyes until I pulled out of the parking lot... thought that was really good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhillyinFrance
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Look on the bright side!  No tears here!??!?

Some of my son's friends are going away... so lots of parties, etc.  but not my son!  As he did very poorly in school and is very irreponisble out of school, he's going to a local college.  I'm not even sure he'll still have the car when he starts, since he's abused the rules... the next time, I'm selling the car and he'll have to take the bus.    And while I promise to be postive, encouraging, etc. during the year (and give him space to do as he wants... and grow up on his own), I have serious doubts on him successfully finishing the first year.

So, be glad that yours are tears of joy!   Think of the future, and all that your child will learn and grow!   

Going away to college was one of the greatest experiences for me and most young adults who got the chance!    She's a lucky girl, and you are a lucky mom!

Sandy0904
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:27 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter commuted to school, so when my oldest son went away to college (not too far away).  I cried before and every time I dropped him off (for the first three years).  The last year in college, I didn't cry at all.  It is a hard transition from having them there with you and off on their own.  You can get through this.  Time for you to focus on you!!

Gmgej
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so so sorry. I don't face this for two years and I already cry. Hang on Momma!

mamaplus3
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your son.... (((( Hugs )))

Quoting PhillyinFrance:

Look on the bright side!  No tears here!??!?

Some of my son's friends are going away... so lots of parties, etc.  but not my son!  As he did very poorly in school and is very irreponisble out of school, he's going to a local college.  I'm not even sure he'll still have the car when he starts, since he's abused the rules... the next time, I'm selling the car and he'll have to take the bus.    And while I promise to be postive, encouraging, etc. during the year (and give him space to do as he wants... and grow up on his own), I have serious doubts on him successfully finishing the first year.

So, be glad that yours are tears of joy!   Think of the future, and all that your child will learn and grow!   

Going away to college was one of the greatest experiences for me and most young adults who got the chance!    She's a lucky girl, and you are a lucky mom!

mamaplus3
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Let me know went your little chickie goes off and I be here for you.  (((hugs)))

Quoting Gmgej:

I am so so sorry. I don't face this for two years and I already cry. Hang on Momma!

jmabal71
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM
My dd is a senior this year and just getting her pics taken was tough. Starts to bring reality home that she'll be leaving in 1 year. I'm already not looking forward to that day.
Hugs to all moms who are dealing with this right now!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)