diplomaIt may be the worst case of refusing to let kids grow up that I've heard in awhile. A high school in Oklahoma is refusing to give the valedictorian of the Class of 2012 her diploma because she use a bad word during her graduation speech way back in May.

That bad word, by the way, was "hell." Apparently Kaitlin Nootbaar had originally handed in a speech with the word "heck" in it, only to use the quasi-curse word when she was actually talking to the crowd about choosing a career path.

Well, you know what I think of that?

So friggin' what!?

Nootbaar is a high school graduate. She deserves her diploma. The administrators who are holding the piece of paper hostage until she writes a letter of apology are clinging to some notion that teenagers can be treated like children forever. Instead they're the ones who are acting childish.

Parents, take note: you don't want to be like these idiots. But every time you start treating your teenager like they're 5, that's exactly what you're doing. You can't keep your teenager under your thumb forever!

It sucks seeing our kids grow up. It's bittersweet putting our blood, sweat, and tears into helping them get there only to realize that everything we've done means they will be leaving us. My daughter is only 7, and I'm already dreading that day.

But at some point, we have to suck it up and start treating them like adults. If we don't, we really can't complain about the 28-year-old still living in Mom's basement, smoking a bowl every afternoon and playing video games until 3 a.m.!

The folks at Prague High School should be proud of all that they put into making Kaitlin Nootbaar a smarty pants valedictorian who is college-bound with a full scholarship. Maybe it's time they show her that ... instead of treating her like she's a baby.

Do you think this school is treating this girl like a child or an adult?