Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Advice Will You Give Your Kid As A College Freshman?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

10 Ways to Not Spend College Completely Screwing Up the Rest of Your Life

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

passed out collegeHere's a deceptively simple question sure to keep you up at night tossing and turning with regret: If you could go back in time, what would you tell yourself as a college freshman? Now let's up the ante a bit: What will you tell your KID as a college freshman?

Thankfully I still have a few years to figure out what I'm going to tell my kids, but considering how clueless I was at that age (not that I had a clue about how clueless I was, of course), I'm guessing that list of Do's and Don'ts is gonna be pretty long, so I might as well get started now.

Here's what I've got so far:

10 Ways to Not Spend College Completely Screwing Up the Rest of Your Life

1. Learn the difference between recklessness and fearlessness. (One will kill you, the other will make you stronger.)

2. Never change your major/schools/politics/hair color/clothes because some guy/girl you're dating said you should.

3. Don't pass out drunk around people who have access to permanent markers.

4. Don't do anything illegal ... but if you DO, for the love of god, don't film/photograph yourself doing it and and then put the evidence on the internet.

5. Realize that your parents are ignorant fools. Don't go out of your way to tell them.

6. Realize that you, too, are an ignorant fool. (Feel like even more of an ignorant fool for going out of your way to make your parents feel like ignorant fools -- I warned you!)

7. Focus.

8. Sleep (but not too much).

9. Spend no more than half a second measuring your own self-worth against the looks/accomplishments/experience/bank account, etc. of anybody else. Half a second is more than enough time to waste.

10. Don't date your professor. EVER. Or your friend's professor. He/she is not, as you might like to believe, dazzled by your precocious wisdom or budding talent or old soul.

Dang, this is gonna be an even longer list than I thought!

What advice will you give your kid as a college freshman?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Having sent a couple daughters off to college, my advice is:

Eat.  Both my daughters lost weight (and they were thin to begin with) because they were too lazy to walk out of their dorm rooms and into the cafeteria.

Don't get 8 am classes.  They're filled with those who procrastinated, and ended up with the least desirable class time.

If you need money, tell us ahead of time.  Once, my daughter (literally) told us she needed $7K in 25 minutes.  3 hour time difference, and was told she needed the rest of the tuition by the end of the day.  She ignored the previous 2 weeks emails about it.

Which brings me to the next one.  Read your email.  The college doesn't care about facebook, and important things DO get sent by email, despite most teenagers thinking that's an old person's way to communcate.  And if it's from the registrar or billing department, read it right away!

FindersKeepers
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Do not make any permanent decisions while drinking... no hair cutting, tattoos, phone calls, texts while drinking either.  

Do not share drinks or makeup.   Many college freshman get mono.  

Get a job... the people I know that dropped or failed out of college were the ones with too much free time and not enough responsibility.

Pick a major you enjoy that has job prospects.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM
My dd got an 8am class. They moved it from 3pm to 8am. She didn't even do it, the schedulars did it. Its only 2 days a week. She wasn't thrilled. Already paid dd's semester. The bill comes here, lol. My dd eats a lot. She only weighs 92 lbs so she has to eat. She has fast metabolism.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Having sent a couple daughters off to college, my advice is:

Eat.  Both my daughters lost weight (and they were thin to begin with) because they were too lazy to walk out of their dorm rooms and into the cafeteria.

Don't get 8 am classes.  They're filled with those who procrastinated, and ended up with the least desirable class time.

If you need money, tell us ahead of time.  Once, my daughter (literally) told us she needed $7K in 25 minutes.  3 hour time difference, and was told she needed the rest of the tuition by the end of the day.  She ignored the previous 2 weeks emails about it.

Which brings me to the next one.  Read your email.  The college doesn't care about facebook, and important things DO get sent by email, despite most teenagers thinking that's an old person's way to communcate.  And if it's from the registrar or billing department, read it right away!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell my child that college is not the place to start a family.  Pick classes that are interesting and enjoy learning about the things they teach.

DarlaHood
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd will be going to college next month.  I've told her that 1 in 4 college students have herpes. Don't become one of them.  Spend the first 3 college parties sober, and watch the drunks.  Have fun, but take care of business, or you will no longer be having fun.  Get involved in things like intramural sports, clubs, and activities;  you will make friends and have a great time.  Always wear shower shoes.   

annie2244
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Watch out for the freshman 10 or 15! Eat lots of veggies and healthy proteins at meals, too many carbs are a really bad idea. 

Stay focused, there will always be someone asking you to party, to talk, to stay up. Stay focused on school work.

Don't procrastinate! Plan out your day to ensure exercise, hours of studying, and social time.

Get to know at least one person in each class, exchange phone numbers. You never know when you'll have a question or need notes of a class you've missed.

Don't drink what you didn't see poured. Beware of the uber strong frat party punch. Go to parties with a buddy and look out for each other.

Bootie calls are just insulting, no matter how lonely you may be when the call comes.

Text or call your sister just about every day. Respond to a text or call from your m&d at least a few times a week (is that too clingy??)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN