Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would You Sign Your Child Up For The Free Condom Program?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

School Giving Condoms to 12-Year-Olds Is on Board With Abstinence Too

Posted by Jeanne Sager

condomsCould we finally have a happy middle ground for the parents who believe in sex education for teenagers and the parents who don't to meet on? A Massachusetts high school thinks they've got the key. They want to hand out condoms to kids as young as 12. But wait! There's more!

Parents of students in Springfield will get a letter allowing them to opt out of the program. And just in case the letters don't make it home, the school will be calling Moms and Dads too.

I think we have a winner here, folks!

I'm all about letting parents go their own way and make choices for their kids. But the easy go with the flow train goes off the rails choices start to infringe on my right to  make choices for my kid.

Unfortunately, in many school districts in America, that's exactly what has happened. The studies show access to birth control doesn't increase sexual activities, it just makes it safer, but too many parents refuse to believe it. Parents who have read the studies and know that quality sex education reduces the teen pregnancy rate are stymied by parents who refuse to allow their kids to be educated about birth control. So we're all stuck with the abstinence-only education that scientists have shown time and again isn't working.

If you want to teach your kid about abstinence and only abstinence, that's your choice. But barring the rest of our kids from getting sex ed just isn't fair!

That's why I'm digging this program offering condoms to kids in Massachusetts. The way the school has designed it could be exactly what we need to bridge the gap.

Some of us opt in. Some opt out. And voila: the parents who fear that their kids won't come to them for birth control, but still want their kids to be safe if they DO decide to have sex are covered. And the others at least got to make their own choice for their kids.

Works for me! How about you?

Would you sign your child up for the free condom program?

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
c_edmonds
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

YES I would...

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I would it sounds like a reasonable compromise.

mrspeterrabbit
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM

No I would not, there is no difference between this and putting the daughters on BC.

my4kidsrock2
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I certainly would. I bought condoms for my son when he was 16 just in case. This would have saved him the embarassment and me the money, lol. 

kirbymom
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM

No. Nope. Never. Not going to happen. No way. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I probably would.

CrazyLife1996
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I would allow it. I would much rather them be safe than pregnant or worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No I would not sign my child up for a free condom program.  I mean come on, how old are these condoms, where were they made, how good are they?  You get what you pay for!  To top that all off, I don't think it is the school's place to give my child birth control because it encourages the children to go through with sexual things with out speaking to parents about it.  I want my children to be able to come to me about sex not go to someone who doesn't love them and get advice from them.

02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM

They aren't cheap so kids might not use them if they have to buy them or have to ask parents but might get them if their friends are doing it so I would.

Shopsha0911
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yes I would sign my child up and I have purchased condoms for my kids. Ijust want to keep the lines of communication open and keep them as safe as possible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN