Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

*Figured it out* My 15 yo daughters Birthday is next week. What should I get?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 13 Replies
Here are the options (I cant do one of those survey things while using mobile):

*SALT water fish tank
*FRESH water fish tank
*Exotic Amphibian (Frog, Salamander, etc.)
*Sixty dollar gift card to exotic pet shop

She made it very clear that she only wants one of these things, but has left me to decide.

Here is what it will be:
I'm going to do a sort of Combo.

A fresh Water tank, but I will give her a gift card to buy the animals. This way she can buy fish and compatible frogs. Is three things combined! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I guess if those are her request you really can't go wrong. I would go fresh water though, they're a little easier to deal with.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Well the cheapest thing on there is the amphibian, then the gift card, then fresh water, then salt water.  I would NOT do saltwater.  Too expensive to maintain.  15 year old, I might do the exotic pet in case she is just interested instead of passionate.  When you come into a fish tank you need to do your research to determine which fish eat the others and stuff, and a lot of maintance to make sure the tank is clean.

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Gift card theme she gets exactly what she wants and stays within budget
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Meant gift card "then not theme" ugh auto correct
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
patchkitty
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Are these what she asked for?  I don't think she looked into it very hard if she is asking for a salt water tank.

I have a small one, and it was over $1000 once we got everything set up. It is a ton of work to maintain on top of the expense, and the corals are very touchy and die easily even under the best conditions. I love it, but I can afford it and am willing to commit to the time. A freshwater tank is easier to maintain, and you can go any price range depending on how fancy you want to get. 

Unless your goal is to teach responsibility, I would go with the gift card. She can get what she wants, you stay on budget, and she may learn a little about how to choose the best pet once she has to consider her busy 15 yo life style!

wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I agree w/ either freshwater or gift card.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I would stay away from the saltwater tank. As far as the others, you know her, which would she like best? Would she want you to pick it out or would she rather do it herself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My first thought was the gift card....but she may bring home a different type exotic pet!    I think the exotic Frog is a cute idea.

MrsBLB
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I would go with fresh water or gift card.  Let us know what you get and or she gets!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so used to autocorrect I had to go back and read it 3 times to realize you didn't write Then!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Meant gift card "then not theme" ugh auto correct

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)