Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think kids should be allowed to take notes on cells and tablets?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 37 Replies

At Least Today's Kids Won't Get Caught Passing Notes

cell phone note takingPeople always love to complain about "kids today." There is no doubt that kids today are being raised in a world that is so very different than the one I was raised in. Most teens today can't remember a world before cellphones and many, many of them have them. With all the smartphones around, why shouldn't kids be taking full advantage of the advanced kind of school work and note taking these devices afford?

Looking back on my own school years, I can scarcely imagine a world where I could just pop open my iPad and start taking notes. There are also recording devices and Internet access built into most smartphones and tablets. This must make school discussions so much livelier and more interesting.

I am so envious!

There are many aspects of technology that are frightening. Certainly younger children and toddlers who use iPhones and tablets run some risks, but for older kids, I say why not?

Sure, there are risks. Kids could watch movies instead of listening in class. They could text friends instead of taking notes. But let's face it: that stuff always happened.

I have shoe boxes still full of the notes I passed in elementary and middle school, and actually, it's kind of sad that kids today won't have that. But what they DO have is technology to help make learning more interactive and fun. That part is highly enviable.

They can take notes and look things up at the same time. They can READ their notes when it comes time to study for tests, and they can copy them easily and share them with friends. It's a new world, for sure. And of course, people may struggle with wondering why a teen needs such a fancy and expensive device.

Really, though, the haters are just jealous. I know this because I am, too!

Do you think kids should be allowed to take notes on cells and tablets?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Cell phones; no. Tablets and computers: yes. 

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

YOU stole my answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )

pookienbobosmom
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

My daughters schooling is almost entirely on tablets/laptops, she's in 8th grade. They don't even have their own books. Their walls and desks are white boards, the walls flip around..pretty crazy.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Bwahahaha I'm sneaky that way. It's my super ninja skills lol

Quoting drfink:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

YOU stole my answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM
If it keeps them interested in learning, definately. My son is a junior in he and he's allowed to take a picture of the assignments on the board so he can remember his homework. His English teacher will download books to iPods,Nooks or other ereaders. His schools thinks outside the box in order to make learning fun and keep kids interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Our school is a one to one computer school. All students in 9-12th get school district provided mac books during the school year. Yes they can/do take notes on their computers.

Another district just started a bring your own tech program where students can bring their own laptops, tablets, ipods what ever to help incorporate technology into the classroom.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

No I don't.  Kids need to learn to write, not just type.

Madammeke
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

yes if the school permits that

sunflowers12
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

most school have all brand new tablets that they are all allow to use...  so why should it be a big deal.. its education not the stone ages... if the parents don't want to pay the bill for these devices then wait til the kid is old enough to pay for the device on their own that's what we did.. there's nothing wrong with it to me i think it good for them as long as there not doing dumb things other then that go for it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN