Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Cell phone

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 9 Replies
DD lost her cellphone at school the other day. She took it out of her pocket in the restroom. She was afraid she'd drop it in the toilet. When she realized she didn't have it she went looking for it.
All the teachers and the vice principal know it's missing. We hoped someone would turn it in to the office. So far nothing. As far as I'm concerned it is no longer "lost" but now is "stolen".
It was locked so no one could use it and I had the service suspended.
DD is really upset because all of her photos are on there of her friends in Alaska. All her contacts. When her one friend knew she was moving, she left little notes on the phone of what they were doing, a little diary for her. The most important photos were of the plane flight where my mom, dad's and sister's ashes were dispersed.
I can replace a phone, but I can't replace the memories.
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM
She shouldn't have it in her pocket or out at school really. If you have photos on a phone you need to have I cloud or somwhere they are sent and saved, not just on the phone. Phones are lost and stolen all the time. My dd lost hers and it was stolen in Vegas. She learned to get I cloud. And I told her having her phone in her hand all the time leads to laying it down and getting it stolen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BPiccini
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Bummer! You don't have the data backed up?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it will come up.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I'm sorry, that does suck. I've done it myself a few times :)

proudmother5946
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Normally she keeps it in the side leg pocket of her pants. The ones she was wearing only have back pockets. She's allowed to have a phone at school. We had to sign a paper and they stamped her school ID. She can only have it out at certain times, lunch or wiki.
I will look into the I cloud.
We are giving it another day to turn up. She didn't want to tell kids that her phone was missing. I told her she needed to get the word out and maybe whoever found it will turn it in.
It's no use to anyone cause it can't be accessed.
pookienbobosmom
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Is there any type of tracking app on it??

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM
It will be a good learning lesson. My dd lost her cell the same way once and she was pretty upset. That was a few years ago and she's never come close to losing it again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elliegrossman
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:57 AM

When my daughter turned 12 years old, all she wanted for her birthday was a cell phone. I respect that she is becoming a "young adult" (her bat mtizvah was a year away),  and I wanted her to be safe and respect the privilege of having a cell phone. So I came up with this agreement to make us both happy.

Cell Phone Contract Between Parent and Tween

I will not go over the number of minutes, text message, etc. (unless our plan is unlimited—woo hoo!) or consequently I’m grounded for a week, and I have to wear whatever outfits to school my mom picks out.

I know that I’m required to contribute to the cost of my cell phone. My contribution is the amount of dollar bills that I negligently leave in my jean pockets, and my mom finds later in the washing machine.

My cell phone must be turned off at bedtime or else I will make everyone in the house really mad when they awake at 6 a.m. to the ringtone of Lada Gaga’s “Poker Face.”

I agree that if I’m unable to keep up with my responsibilities, such as feed the dog, empty waste baskets, and turn in my homework on time, the use of my cell phone can be taken away from me, and I’ll be forced to do laundry, make dinner, vacuum the steps, clean toilets, and run errands with my mom on weekends.

I will not use my cell phone to take pictures of nudity, violence or other inappropriate activities that will wind up on Facebook and ruin my reputation and any chance I have of getting into the National Honor Society or a decent college.

I will not use my cell phone to call anyone for malicious purposes, such as bullying, pranking, or ordering Domino’s pizza.

I will not use my cell phone while driving, especially when I don’t have my driver’s license yet.

I will limit the amount of people who have my cell phone number to less than the quantity of my Facebook friends.

I will limit the amount of time I’m on the phone to six hours a day, which means I need to talk and text fast. I will not use my phone while I’m sleeping and dreaming about phone accessories.

I will turn off my phone during school hours or eat lunch in the principal’s office for the rest of school year.

I will practice proper cell phone etiquette, such as turn the phone to vibrate during movies and high holiday services, not bring my cell phone to the family dinner table, and not text my friends when they are sitting next to me on the couch.

I understand that I’m responsible for knowing where my phone is, unlike my mom who loses her phone and car keys at least three times a day.

Signed ______________________________ (Tween)

Signed ______________________________ (Parents)

Date ______________________________

proudmother5946
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:22 AM
Quoting elliegrossman:

When my daughter turned 12 years old, all she wanted for her birthday was a cell phone. I respect that she is becoming a "young adult" (her bat mtizvah was a year away),  and I wanted her to be safe and respect the privilege of having a cell phone. So I came up with this agreement to make us both happy.

Cell Phone Contract Between Parent and Tween

I will not go over the number of minutes, text message, etc. (unless our plan is unlimited—woo hoo!) or consequently I’m grounded for a week, and I have to wear whatever outfits to school my mom picks out.

I know that I’m required to contribute to the cost of my cell phone. My contribution is the amount of dollar bills that I negligently leave in my jean pockets, and my mom finds later in the washing machine.

My cell phone must be turned off at bedtime or else I will make everyone in the house really mad when they awake at 6 a.m. to the ringtone of Lada Gaga’s “Poker Face.”

I agree that if I’m unable to keep up with my responsibilities, such as feed the dog, empty waste baskets, and turn in my homework on time, the use of my cell phone can be taken away from me, and I’ll be forced to do laundry, make dinner, vacuum the steps, clean toilets, and run errands with my mom on weekends.

I will not use my cell phone to take pictures of nudity, violence or other inappropriate activities that will wind up on Facebook and ruin my reputation and any chance I have of getting into the National Honor Society or a decent college.

I will not use my cell phone to call anyone for malicious purposes, such as bullying, pranking, or ordering Domino’s pizza.

I will not use my cell phone while driving, especially when I don’t have my driver’s license yet.

I will limit the amount of people who have my cell phone number to less than the quantity of my Facebook friends.

I will limit the amount of time I’m on the phone to six hours a day, which means I need
to talk and text fast. I will not use my phone while I’m sleeping and dreaming about phone
accessories.

I will turn off my phone during school hours or eat lunch in the
principal’s office for the rest of school year.

I will practice proper cell phone
etiquette, such as turn the phone to vibrate during movies and high holiday services, not bring my
cell phone to the family dinner table, and not text my friends when they are sitting next to me on
the couch.

I understand that I’m responsible for knowing where my phone is,
unlike my mom who loses her phone and car keys at least three times a day.

Signed ______________________________ (Tween)

Signed
______________________________ (Parents)

Date

How did you know that I lose my keys and cellphone so much! Lol.
I replaced her phone today. I was able to get her a Go Phone because we still have a year on the current contract.
She's always been very conciencious (sic) about her phone. She was just afraid of dropping it in the toilet. We figured that if whoever found it hasn't turned it in by now, that they aren't going to. AT&T said that if someone tried to switch the sim card that the service will be permanently disabled. They've had a few people come in with stolen phones wondering why they won't work.
She's good about her usage, she asks before buying an app. I check her phone on occasion to see what she's up to.
At least now if her dad decides to call her, he can reach her. (like that will happen). That way he can't accuse me of not making her available.
I'll have to come up with chores for her. Taking garbage can to the street is out, ever since the centipede (6 inch) ran across her foot. She totally freaked. Almost as funny as when the baby lizard fell from the ceiling and landed on her leg.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)