Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you let your 16 yr old dd date a 19 year old?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your 16 yr old dd date a 19 yr old?

Options:

yes

no

other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

Just curious because my dd thinks she should be able to date a 19 yr old who just graduated high school.

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It would depend. How mature is she? Were they friends before he graduated? If she's pretty mature and responsible for her age and they had already been friends, I might not be happy, but I wouldn't try to say "No way!".

friendlymom5
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Yes, I would allow it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4littlegirls
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I was told by his "aunt" that I'm friends with that my dd is the first girl he treated right. He has a ton of problems. She also has been very disobiedient lately too. She just smashed her brand new phone thats under a 2 yr contract because she was mad. My dh is to the point that she will have to go get her own phone and account because we shouldn't have to pay for her breaking phones (3rd one in a year)

Quoting wakymom:

It would depend. How mature is she? Were they friends before he graduated? If she's pretty mature and responsible for her age and they had already been friends, I might not be happy, but I wouldn't try to say "No way!".

wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Um, yeah, in that case, I'd be trying to discourage it.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

I was told by his "aunt" that I'm friends with that my dd is the first girl he treated right. He has a ton of problems. She also has been very disobiedient lately too. She just smashed her brand new phone thats under a 2 yr contract because she was mad. My dh is to the point that she will have to go get her own phone and account because we shouldn't have to pay for her breaking phones (3rd one in a year)

Quoting wakymom:

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It would depend on the maturity level of both.   Three years isn't that much of a difference...

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly I think this is a situational decision. In your case maybe not. In fact in your case I don't think the ages are the issue your daughters behavior is. Until she can act in a more responsible way she shouldn't be dating anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoffive07
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

i would not allow my daughter to. 

kirbymom
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM
4 moms liked this

I would say no. First of all, it is illegal. I would not want anyone being charged with statatory rape if I could prevent that kind of a situation.  Second, a I am not comfortable with a person who is supposed to be done with the high school scene and moving up in the world towards college and work and making their life about finding a career and getting themselves situated as a functioning adult and then turning around and heading back to where they just headed away from. We are supposed to be going forward in our life's adventures. And I know that a 19 yr old and a 16 yr old are going to be on the same page in life. Why would we parents add to what amounts to two people who think differently and by al rights should, because of the direction each one is taking in their respective lives. That is, imho, asking for trouble. Trouble that could be prevented from ever even happening. 

undefined

andersongirl562
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM
I do t know about allow but since trying to stop it is going to push them into sneaking around I would place parameters and limitations do that I had some sort of control. I would also put my kid on birth control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Like others said before, it's a situational thing and it doesn't seem your daughter is mature enough to handle it.  Purposely breaking 3 phones is a no-go for sure.

But, on the other hand, if she wants to see him, she will and just be sneaky about it.  Whereas if you allowed it, you could also have a little control over it.

I agree with a PP, if you haven't already put her on birth control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN