Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

HPV for boys, yes or no?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son started college this year and before he went he had to have a physical. During the physical they told me that they are recommending that boys get the HPV vaccine also. It is given in 3 doses and he would have already been away when the 2nd dose was due so we told them we would probably do it over the winter break. I just don't know if I feel it is necessary or not. Did you get it for your sons and or daughters?

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
My daughter had the vaccine, and my son has received his first shot. He'll be getting his second dose next month. HPV can be easily transmitted so it makes sense to vaccinate the males as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I just read up on it online, here's what I think I learned:  the case for vaccinating males is not as great a case as it is for women. Men are much less likely to have health impact from this fairly common infection than women. The recommendation wasn't as strong by the scientists as was the recommendation for females. If you're not a gay or bisexual male, or immunocompromised, your chances of getting into trouble with hpv infection are pretty small.

On the other hand, there's no side effects or risks to speak of with the vaccination, and it helps prevent your son from getting infected, thus reducing the chance that he'd be part of the small percent of guys who have symptoms. So - if it was my boy, I'd say why not. Pretty much zero downside to prevent a chance, albeit fairly small, of lesions and cancer.  

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM
My 13 year old son is in the process of getting it. He has 1 more shot to go. I wanted him to get the vaccine but needless to say he wasn't too thrilled about nore shots, but when the nurse and dr explained EXACTLY what it was for, my son held his arm out to the nurse willingly. He's not sexually active yet, but there's certain ages it's suggested for. To me, and him, better safe than sorry.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Same

Quoting mumsy2three:

I won't have any of my kids get it. They can choose to have the vaccination when they are 18 if they want to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Manth
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM

My daughters both got it when it was offered in High School - they were aged about 13 when they got it, 16 and 17 now.  They had no adverse reactions to it.  We have a family history of cervical cancer (my late sister battled it many times and it kept coming back) so we felt it was worth it to protect them from the most common cause of the illness.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

No I didn't.  I spoke to my daughter's pediatrian about it.  I asked him what he thought and he wasn't "allowed" to give me advice on it which I think was stupid.  So I waited until right before he left (they closed) and asked him as a parent.  He told me the vacination was not out long enough for him to trust it with his own daughter, therefore none of my kids got the shot.

Mom2NandJ
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM
My dr suggested it for my DS (15) on his last check up. He got that and his flu shot. My oldest DS (19) will get his on the next appt also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nsparky1964
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM

i got my sd16 the series of shots last year...

i read someplace that 1 in 4 boys will get/transmit HPV..this is a preventable cancer (and warts)..

I wish they had the vac when i was a kid, I got cancer from HPV back in 95 when i found out my xh was cheating on me......(amoung other things)

TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Not my boys while they are under my watch. 

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

My daughter is NOT getting the shot, and I will advice my son against it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN