Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

 Did your kids take the SATs yet?  Do you know how they're scored?  How they are tested?  Is one subject more tested than others?  I'm curious because my son is in High School, but just started.  I'm just curious.  Do they take them in 11th grade?  I'm just wondering.  I didn't take them.  But my son will be.  Is there a test called ACT?  I think that's a test too?  I'm confused lol.




 

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-14):
MansfieldMama
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

You've gotten some good replies here.  :)

I teach AP English in high school, and teach an ACT/SAT prep class during school, as well.  I am also teaching a PSAT class after school right now, and that will switch to an SAT class after kids take the PSAT on October 17.

One of the biggest differences between the SAT and the ACT is that the SAT only tests over reading, math, and writing.  The ACT also tests over science.  Some universities prefer one test or another, so once your son narrows down where he wants to go, see which test each school prefers.

If you want more information on the SAT, collegeboard.org is a great resource!  :)

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I love hearing that kids are getting into all the colleges they applied to.... but that is 100% counter to what I hear in real life.  I have been in conversations with parents whose kids ROCKED the SATs and/or ACTs have well over a 4.0 and had a very hard time getting into the colleges of their choice.  From what I hear in real life the college applications process is extremely competitive.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That is probably because the ones they apply to actually accept probably 10 or 20% of applicants.  My dd applied to schools that accepted 65 to 75% of applicants.  She also applied early to them all which gives you even a larger chance of getting accepted.  Early applications are usually 5% or more of a chance so really it was 70 to 80% chance of her getting accepted.  My dd applied with a 3.4 gpa not weighted on 4.0 scale and a 22 ACT. 

My neighbor girl applied to all hard to get into schools, but one.  She had a 30 ACT and nearly straight A's.  Guess what, she only got into the easier school and none of the hard ones.  For every hard school you are supposed to apply to an easier one.  She didn't do that.  She is happy at the one, UW Madison, a great school. but at the time she was upset not getting into any other school. 

Quoting sahlady:

I love hearing that kids are getting into all the colleges they applied to.... but that is 100% counter to what I hear in real life.  I have been in conversations with parents whose kids ROCKED the SATs and/or ACTs have well over a 4.0 and had a very hard time getting into the colleges of their choice.  From what I hear in real life the college applications process is extremely competitive.


Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM

bizzeemom and other PPs gave you great advice.Our school offers a practice SAT starting in ninth and again in tenth to help prep for the PSATs and give an idea what type of test taker they are.Some kids just naturally do well on standardized tests others need prep. .All mine take it. I agree start talking now with the college dean /counselor this year.Our school starts having grade level parents meetings in the fall of the freshman year.You get practically a book explaining what is looked for ,the different tests offered  then later we start individualized plans.So starting now is not to early and will help you feel so much better and in control.

Also look the SAT websites and ACT  websites .They are full of info ,tips and practice tests.

Good luck ! The first is always the most nerve wracking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN