Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much privacy in dd room?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

Ok,my daughter is 16 and I respect her privacy, yet when I stumble upon things likewine cooler bottles and "missing" items in her room, I feel I need to address that immediatly. Especially because she is already in counseling for depression and cutting. My counselor says that would break our trust because she would think I was snooping!!

I think I need a new counselor! I asked my dd if she had been drinking with her friends,or smoking pot and she of course said no.

Do you think I direspected her privacy. Oh and by the way I was only putting her clean clothes in her room,she didn't hide them too well,so I didn't dig through her stuff. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks Berta

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree - NEW COUNSELOR!!!

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It is your house.  You can look in her room anytime you like.  She doesn't own the house.  If you suspect something, look. 

mom2bell
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I give my daughters (14 and 16) 100 */. Privacy. But, they have not given me reason not to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM
3 moms liked this

If my DD was struggling with depression and cutting and I found alcohol in her room, the door would come down immediately...privacy is not a right, it's an earned priviledge!

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and get a new counselor asap, your DD could be in danger, cause self harm, and the counselor could lose her license, she sounds either incompetent or there is some sort of miscommunication, I hope the latter.

FindersKeepers
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I don't snoop through the kids things, but if I see something because I was dropping off laundry, vacuuming or walking by..... then I would for sure address it.  

I have made my dd go through her room for "missing items" bc she is the worst offender about boring things without asking and not returning them.  I haven't really had that problem with ds

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I agree....new counselor!

Announce that you are going to go in her room, and then I don't think it's snooping. Your house, your room. You should still be able to go in there withou breaking your daughter's trust in you.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I agree with the others yall need a new counselor.Bizeemom is very correct.The counslors attitude has her priorities mixed up.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I agree....new counselor!

Announce that you are going to go in her room, and then I don't think it's snooping. Your house, your room. You should still be able to go in there withou breaking your daughter's trust in you.

Exactly ,I have seldom ever searched my kids rooms...crossing fingers so far so good...but this is exactly what I have done.Said lets go and we did.Found nothing but a close friend had been busted.

Shea1967
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Until your dd pays you rent it is your home your rules. Also if my dd had issues plus I found stuff like that while not snooping time for door off and a curtain door on. Time for new therapist too I think. I get trust but she has to earn it back and not seeing it. Buck up mom you are in the right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN