Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Im sorry to keep asking for help - but HELP!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 34 Replies

How did you help your child narrow down college choices?  

What advice did you give them? 

My daughter has no idea what she wants to study; so we cant narrow down by that.  She knows she doesnt want the south, certain areas of the mid-west, and HELL no to so. cal..... that helps only a tiny bit.  

She has been on college board with her grades and test scores and has a list started.... but we obviously cant visit ALL the schools... and she just has such a hard time.

Im at a loss for words of wisdom.

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

My daughter wants to be in SoCal...lol... but, she knows what she wants to do.  If your daughter doesn't know what she wants to do, it may be wise to consider a community college for the first 2 years and then transferring. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

we live in so. cal. and she wants O-U-T!  LoL... she is over it she says.

She wont even consider a jr. college, feels it is letting herself down.  The peer pressure here is crazy and few kids from her school go into a 2 yr.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

My daughter wants to be in SoCal...lol... but, she knows what she wants to do.  If your daughter doesn't know what she wants to do, it may be wise to consider a community college for the first 2 years and then transferring. 

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM
I think she needs to at least narrow down what she wants to do. Then the schools that are the best in whatever major she thinks is right for her. She may change her mind along the way but if she has some kind of idea that would be helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

well she knows 100% she wants nothing to do with math, science, or medicine.  I know what I think she would be good at... but it isnt my life.  I have made suggestions, but she has no idea.

Quoting Cindy18:

I think she needs to at least narrow down what she wants to do. Then the schools that are the best in whatever major she thinks is right for her. She may change her mind along the way but if she has some kind of idea that would be helpful.

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Has she been in to talk with her school counselor, they can look over her transcrips and strenghths? then narrow down the geographical area a bit, say something like the Pacific Northwest for example? That way you can plan a trip and hit 5 or so colleges in a few days.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Some things to consider:

Familiarity:  Are there any States where you have family or friends she can contact in an emergency?  Does she acclimate well to new surroundings? 

Transportation.   Will she have a car?  If so, is she comfortable driving in large cities, icy/snowy roads?  If not, how is the public transportation system in the areas you are considering?

Coming Home.   Can you afford to fly her home for Holidays and Breaks?   In the colder States, flights are delayed or cancelled a lot because of weather....alternative plans must be enacted.     There is also the issue of how quick you can get to her in an emergency.

Dorms.    Some College Dorms have a rule about having to move all belongings out of the dorm for school breaks.   My neice went throught this at Cal State, Chico.    Her folks had to drive up (from San Jose) to help her move her things into a storage unit.   Very few students had cars, due to lack of campus parking, so her friends were in the same boat....my sis and bil helped several of them, as well.

I hope this helps.      

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Some things to consider:

Familiarity:  Are there any States where you have family or friends she can contact in an emergency?  Does she acclimate well to new surroundings?  She refuses to live in the state where my family is from.... cant blame her she has only known VERY boring family vacations there. She WANTs something new... so Im hoping she acclimates out of the desire to be there.

Transportation.   Will she have a car?  If so, is she comfortable driving in large cities, icy/snowy roads?  If not, how is the public transportation system in the areas you are considering? We do not want her to have a car freshman year.  

Coming Home.   Can you afford to fly her home for Holidays and Breaks?   In the colder States, flights are delayed or cancelled a lot because of weather....alternative plans must be enacted.     There is also the issue of how quick you can get to her in an emergency. Yes we can afford to fly her home... but I am taking into account how far the school is from the airport.  Not much we can do about weather delays... she is sick of so. cal weather and wants to live somewhere that actually has 4 seasons.

Dorms.    Some College Dorms have a rule about having to move all belongings out of the dorm for school breaks.   My neice went throught this at Cal State, Chico.    Her folks had to drive up (from San Jose) to help her move her things into a storage unit.   Very few students had cars, due to lack of campus parking, so her friends were in the same boat....my sis and bil helped several of them, as well.  holy hell.... for winter break???  that is crazy.  but GREAT info... I had no idea.  I know that one of the schools she toured had storage lockers for the kids to rent that were in the dorms... loved that.

I hope this helps.      

thank you.... GREAT things to keep in mind!!!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Honestly at this stage there is no real reason to go in and have what she wants to do narrowed down. She can go in as 'undecided' get her core classes out of the way (which is pretty much what happens the first two years) and then hopefully she will stumble across what she likes.

I miss So.Cal... I miss the food (tito's taco's really), I miss the beaches. I miss the world not ending at 8pm every night...can you tell I am a little homesick lol

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I would start narrowing them down by price.  What's affordable?  Then I would tell her she needs to come up with SOMETHING to do because without a major the grants aren't there and most of the time scholarships aren't there too.  She can change it when she wants, the first year is all english and math anyways.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Another thought......what does she like to do recreationally?    Is she a nature lover?  Does she like to hike, bike and camp?  Is she into skiing/snowboarding?   Is she more of a city girl?   Shopping, fine restaurants, theater? 

The Pacific Northwest is a great idea...as another poster mentioned.     There are so many colleges in Oregon and Washington!   I know U of O attracts lots of students from Cali.   There are four seasons ( rain is included in all :).   Great public transportation systems, bike friendly, and within driving distance of So. Cal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN