Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much do you spend on your teens for their birthday?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 30 Replies

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Depends most years around $100. my kids birthdays are in Dec & Jan.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Usually around $200, but a little more at 16 and 18.  We also take it year by year if there is something that they want that is more than that we will take it into consideration.

EmpoweredTeens
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I think gifts in general should be kept inexpensive and personal. The teens today that get expensive gifts, tend to feel intitled when they don't recieve the gift they want. If they want something expensive, pitch in and help them buy it. When kids start expecting gifts in a certain price range, you're in trouble!

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Depends. $100 or less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Playitagain
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

$50 or less generally unless they really need something like a bike. We aren't big believers in giving huge for birthdays and christmas. However we have accounts set up for college, weddings, and graduation parties. My grandparents taught its more important to help with the big things then give a bunch of smaller things. My kids arent very materialistic, they would prefer to go someplace like the zoo or Greenfield Village for their birthdays including my 2 eldest. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Our birthday rule is this: you can have a birthday party or you can get a birthday gift.  If we throw a party for you that IS the gift.  Parties are very pricey and Im not spending ALL that money AND buying a gift.  However, if there is an item you have your heart set on then you are welcome to forgo the party and we will get you that item. (with in reason). 

LoL... it has been years since we have had a birthday party.

however, they do get small gifts from their siblings every year.... party or not.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM

we dont do large Christmases either.  The kids get 4 gifts: one from each sibling, one from mom & dad, one from Santa.

Quoting Playitagain:

$50 or less generally unless they really need something like a bike. We aren't big believers in giving huge for birthdays and christmas. However we have accounts set up for college, weddings, and graduation parties. My grandparents taught its more important to help with the big things then give a bunch of smaller things. My kids are very materialistic, they would prefer to go someplace like the zoo or Greenfield Village for their birthdays including my 2 eldest. 

happyhappydance
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM

They get $350. It is up to them how they want to spend it. Big gift-no party, small gift with party or whatever they want to plan.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Somewhere between $50-$100 for birthdays, somewhere between $100-$150 for christmas.

We don't upgrade their phones, for example, or replace them if broken or lost/stolen, or get them a new ipod if broken/lost/stolen, so they have to decide what big items they might want like that, and put it on their bday christmas list, and if the total of what they want is more than we typically spend for their total sum of presents, then we contribute toward the purchase of bigger items but only hit the 'buy' button when they've got the balance to hand over.This has resulted in their seeing the total acceptability of buying the previous generation whatever on ebay vs insisting on the newest model. If their new phone choice requires a data plan, that has to be paid up front in advance of the purchase for a year, to ensure they really can afford this.  Included in their allowance (although the 16 y/o is weaning off of allowance this year and next) is a clothing allowance, which results in some of their bday/christmas wishes to be money for shopping or getting their hair highlighted. They always have the opportunity to earn money by doing extra chores (but they rarely do).

I don't want to create kids who feel entitled to this expensive, fun but ultimately not essential stuff, who then might feel the need to go into debt as young adults to continue a lifestyle we got them used to but they can't afford on their own.

They are already living a gifted lifestyle just by family trips, summer experiences, private school, no debt for college. That is a huge gift. Expensive stuff? Limited quantities and lots of purposeful delayed gratification and incentives for bargain shopping built into their receipt of it, so as not to issue into the world a superficial entitled debtor.

I think the more money you have as parents, the more you struggle with how to not let your money screw up your kids.  Another factor is the number of expensive things, mainly electronics, that are now considered essential by many and are ubiquitous, even among those in debt, with very limited incomes, which adds to the pressure to today's kids to feel like they must have this stuff they don't have an income to support. Very easy to turn out into the world kids who quickly get into debt.

annasmom1234
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Usually $50-$100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)