Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And this is why I take my kids shopping!!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
  • 50 Replies

ExSIL askesd if she could take my DDs (11 & 13) out shopping since she never got them anything for their birthdays. Well they come back with CRAP!

DD#1 got A NEON yellow tank top that is from the WOMEN's section not girls (therefore too big & oh did they try anything on? NOPE). A Hiroshuko (sp?) top that looks like a night shirt- supposedly the tank is for under it. Oh & she got the shirt to go with her neon pink sunglasses. I told her she isn't suppose to get clothes to match the accessories- you get accessories to match the clothes.

DD#2 got hot pink jeans. okay- not too bad because dress code at school says no BLUE jeans. We got clarification & the dress code does not say no denim just no BLUE jeans. Ok. Well 1 of the shirts she got to go with it is a Monster High shirt (which she KNOWS how I feel about that) & it's a black tee shirt with the long sleeves that look like a layered shirt. Anyway the sleeves are pink & white striped- the pink doesn't match ANYTHING she already has! Not even the pink jeans she just got! But she did get a black Mickey Mouse shirt with pink rhinestones that do match- but she will only be able to wear it on the weekend because of school dress code.

It irritates me to no end that the girls complained about not having enough dress code appropriate clothes & yet they got crap clothes that don't go with anything they have & they can't wear to school!

Does anyone else have issues with their kids clothing choice? Especially the younger teens?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I do not, but know many who do. Thank stores like Justice for that shit. I would ask your girls if they want to return them or wear them on weekends.

CampClan
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It's stuff THEY picked out!! :( I am embarrassed to have them wear it out in public! If I had gone with them I would have steered them towards something more appropriate for their age & public! My biggest concern is it's definitely NOT church wear. A cute blouse & some jeans, yes- but stuff that stands out like this! Oh heck no!

The "worst" part is the exSIL hardly ever gets them anything for their birthdays! A few years ago for Christmas she claimed to have bought them all stuff & then when we got to the house where we were all meeting she said she misplaced everything & can't find it! WTH? How do you live in a small 1 bedroom apartment & lose something like a big pile of Christmas gifts?? Turns out she was desperate for money & returned them all! UGH! Oh & I guess I should have known about her taste in clothing- she dresses like a ________ (fill in the blank there).

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I do not, but know many who do. Thank stores like Justice for that shit. I would ask your girls if they want to return them or wear them on weekends.

Diamondblue1
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Well at leaSt she tried? If you still have the reciept take the stuff back and see if you can find something similar that fits so you won't hurt your sil feelings
CampClan
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Well at leaSt she tried? If you still have the reciept take the stuff back and see if you can find something similar that fits so you won't hurt your sil feelings

No she has it but told the girls to tell me to let her know if they don't fit & need to be returned. And when she told me she wanted to take them shopping for their birthdays I figured THEY would get to pick if they wanted clothes or something else (they love board games & books). But she insisted she buy them an outfit. Which is odd because I thought an outfit consisted of a top & bottom- one of the girls had 2 tops & that was it.

SuperLooneyMom
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the suggestive post. Also would like to add another. In the future someone else decides to buy your kids clothes offer to shop with them or ask for a gift card. Otherwise your at the receiving mercy and there's nothing you can do but say thank you. When ppl buy my kids clothes they get sizes, and they don't go to fancy places just cause they are hip. In the end I have my kids get clothes they will grow into, they don't get much choice

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

No she has it but told the girls to tell me to let her know if they don't fit & need to be returned. And when she told me she wanted to take them shopping for their birthdays I figured THEY would get to pick if they wanted clothes or something else (they love board games & books). But she insisted she buy them an outfit. Which is odd because I thought an outfit consisted of a top & bottom- one of the girls had 2 tops & that was it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Thanks. Usually Christmas is the only time they get clothes (unless I buy new school clothes) & I tell them specifics (must have buttons & collars, no BLUE jeans, no pictures, etc) or I GIVE them the guidelines straight from the school.

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

I agree with the suggestive post. Also would like to add another. In the future someone else decides to buy your kids clothes offer to shop with them or ask for a gift card. Otherwise your at the receiving mercy and there's nothing you can do but say thank you. When ppl buy my kids clothes they get sizes, and they don't go to fancy places just cause they are hip. In the end I have my kids get clothes they will grow into, they don't get much choice

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM
8 moms liked this

Honestly, so long as I don't see boob's, butt or anything to suggestive. I don't care what they wear. Wanna dress like Punky Brewster...go for it. Want to wear goth clothes (as one dd did and has since outgrown)..be my guest. Want to express yourself...knock yourself out! 

They only live once, childhood is short lived and it's the one time in their life that they can do all of that and not be looked down on. Once they hit 18, they are expected to grow up, let them live a little. May not be what you would pick, but if they liked their choices, then they hav done good.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm dying to know...How does a Mickey Mouse t-shirt violate the dress code?

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 23 weeks old

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:27 AM
I agree with this. I know you we're hoping for clothes that they could wear for school, your daughters maybe wanted something for their downtime. I honestly would let it go.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Honestly, so long as I don't see boob's, butt or anything to suggestive. I don't care what they wear. Wanna dress like Punky Brewster...go for it. Want to wear goth clothes (as one dd did and has since outgrown)..be my guest. Want to express yourself...knock yourself out! 

They only live once, childhood is short lived and it's the one time in their life that they can do all of that and not be looked down on. Once they hit 18, they are expected to grow up, let them live a little. May not be what you would pick, but if they liked their choices, then they hav done good.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)