Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

And this is why I take my kids shopping!!

Posted by   + Show Post

ExSIL askesd if she could take my DDs (11 & 13) out shopping since she never got them anything for their birthdays. Well they come back with CRAP!

DD#1 got A NEON yellow tank top that is from the WOMEN's section not girls (therefore too big & oh did they try anything on? NOPE). A Hiroshuko (sp?) top that looks like a night shirt- supposedly the tank is for under it. Oh & she got the shirt to go with her neon pink sunglasses. I told her she isn't suppose to get clothes to match the accessories- you get accessories to match the clothes.

DD#2 got hot pink jeans. okay- not too bad because dress code at school says no BLUE jeans. We got clarification & the dress code does not say no denim just no BLUE jeans. Ok. Well 1 of the shirts she got to go with it is a Monster High shirt (which she KNOWS how I feel about that) & it's a black tee shirt with the long sleeves that look like a layered shirt. Anyway the sleeves are pink & white striped- the pink doesn't match ANYTHING she already has! Not even the pink jeans she just got! But she did get a black Mickey Mouse shirt with pink rhinestones that do match- but she will only be able to wear it on the weekend because of school dress code.

It irritates me to no end that the girls complained about not having enough dress code appropriate clothes & yet they got crap clothes that don't go with anything they have & they can't wear to school!

Does anyone else have issues with their kids clothing choice? Especially the younger teens?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
CampClan
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The school system implimented a "uniform" policy a few years ago & all shirts had to be polo style (collars & button up) & could not have pictures or designs. The Mickey Mouse shirt is a tee shirt & clearly is a picture.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I'm dying to know...How does a Mickey Mouse t-shirt violate the dress code?

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Gotcha. It was the pink jeans being okay that confused me, LOL.

Quoting CampClan:

The school system implimented a "uniform" policy a few years ago & all shirts had to be polo style (collars & button up) & could not have pictures or designs. The Mickey Mouse shirt is a tee shirt & clearly is a picture.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Yeah IDK- now that the school is somewhat doing away with the policy (3 years after implimenting it) they allow any type of jeans except BLUE jeans- any other color is okay for some reason. All shirts still have to have buttons & collars but can have some type of design (like a plaid or stripes).

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM
That is possibly one of the weirdest dress codes I've have ever heard of. All jeans but blue jeans...Okay then. LOL. (Not doubting you at all, btw. Just think the school is weird. Haha.)

Quoting CampClan:

Yeah IDK- now that the school is somewhat doing away with the policy (3 years after implimenting it) they allow any type of jeans except BLUE jeans- any other color is okay for some reason. All shirts still have to have buttons & collars but can have some type of design (like a plaid or stripes).

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Sorry but it seems like your Ex-SIL was trying to do something nice for your kids and instead of being grateful you are being mean.   Extended family OFTEN gets kids gifts that are frivolous.... or lets them pick out things that are not needs.   She took them out for a fun day of shopping and you are poo'ing all over it.   = (

Quoting CampClan:

It's stuff THEY picked out!! :( I am embarrassed to have them wear it out in public! If I had gone with them I would have steered them towards something more appropriate for their age & public! My biggest concern is it's definitely NOT church wear. A cute blouse & some jeans, yes- but stuff that stands out like this! Oh heck no!

The "worst" part is the exSIL hardly ever gets them anything for their birthdays! A few years ago for Christmas she claimed to have bought them all stuff & then when we got to the house where we were all meeting she said she misplaced everything & can't find it! WTH? How do you live in a small 1 bedroom apartment & lose something like a big pile of Christmas gifts?? Turns out she was desperate for money & returned them all! UGH! Oh & I guess I should have known about her taste in clothing- she dresses like a ________ (fill in the blank there).

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I do not, but know many who do. Thank stores like Justice for that shit. I would ask your girls if they want to return them or wear them on weekends.

CampClan
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear- the original dress code called for "Docker" style pants in black, navy blue, or tan. Since the school system is opening up enrollment to outside districts then they are being more lax on the dress code. Which I hate- IMO if you are going to make a dress code then stick with it- not get rid of it a few years later!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

That is possibly one of the weirdest dress codes I've have ever heard of. All jeans but blue jeans...Okay then. LOL. (Not doubting you at all, btw. Just think the school is weird. Haha.)

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

erica7227
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
I have a 15 year old, you are going to find you have less & less control over their clothing choices moving forward. I wouldn't sweat this at all, and just let them wear the clothes if they like them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I see your point about not ditching it once they start it, but I can see why they did. If they opened up enrollment, chances are there are more students coming in from lower-income families. Uniforms are not cheap when you're also buying "street" clothes. So I can understand why they are so lax about the code.
Quoting CampClan:

Sorry I should have been more clear- the original dress code called for "Docker" style pants in black, navy blue, or tan. Since the school system is opening up enrollment to outside districts then they are being more lax on the dress code. Which I hate- IMO if you are going to make a dress code then stick with it- not get rid of it a few years later!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

This is why the school system has a "Raider Wear" fund- if you qualify for free/reduced lunches & school fees then you get money towards new school clothes. But oh well there is nothing I can do other than buy them clothes that go with the policy!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I see your point about not ditching it once they start it, but I can see why they did. If they opened up enrollment, chances are there are more students coming in from lower-income families. Uniforms are not cheap when you're also buying "street" clothes. So I can understand why they are so lax about the code.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, not really.   My son wears a lot of black...but he is starting to add some brown, grey and camo to his wardrobe.   He is 18 and started wearing all black his Freshman year of HS. 

I think your girls probably had fun shopping with their aunt, and the clothing she purchased were gifts, which should be fun.   School clothes are basic necesseties to me, not gifts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN